Thought for September 20, 2024

  •  1519: Magellan sets off on 1st successful circumnavigation of the globe
  • 1814: "Star Spangled Banner" published as a song
  • 1884: Equal Rights Party nominates female candidates for President and Vice-President
  • 1962: Mississippi Governor refuses to admit James Meredith to Ole Miss
  • 1973: Billy Jean King defeats Bobby Riggs
  • 1990: East and West Germany ratify reunification
  • Born: Upton Sinclair, Sphia Loren, Red Auerbach, Dale Chihuly, George RR Martin, 
  • Died: Jacob Grimm, Fiorello LaGuardia, Jean Sibelius, Jim Croce, Rob Bironas, 
Thought:
Yesterday we talked about the birth of the King who gives us peace and is our peace. Today, read Micah 6:6-8 with me. Here is a great question I should ask every morning--in light of who Jesus is and what He has done for me, what shall I bring to Him? [6:6] What can I bring to show my love, my gratitude, may devotion. 

Have you ever needed to buy a gift for someone who has everything and wants nothing. Many of us have reached the age where we really don't need or really want anything material. We had rather spend a day with a child or grandchild than receive a new shirt, tie, candy, flowers. We had rather get that unexpected call from a friend or family member than open a package. Now think about the Lord--what does He need this year? He owns everything and can speak into existence anything He wants. What does He want from me? 

Look at Micah's words---do justice, love kindness/mercy, walk humbly with God. What does that mean to you. 
  • Live justly. The just shall live by faith. Conform to His laws, His commandments. Know His word and keep it. Justified can mean to align with a standard, conform to the standard. So I want to live conformed to His standards, His teaching, His commands.
  • Love kindness/mercy. I am to be kind not as a requirement, not to check a box, but because I love to be kind. I love the Golden Rule and want to keep it. I love mercy and kindness because God extends mercy and kindness to me and I know how it blesses me, so I want others to have that blessing as well. 
  • Walk humbly with God. Humility is always good although it is hard to find among some politicians, athletes, entertainers, and people just like me. But when I read this line of scripture, it hits me several places. Walk with God. That means I am walking in His way and like Him. He sets the direction, He sets the pace, He determines when to stop and go. He is the leader. And as I walk with Him, I am humble. I don't think more highly of myself, because to Him is all glory. And humbly I constantly acknowledge that He is king and I am not. 
Blessings
Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024