Thought for September 12, 2024

  • 490 BC: Battle of Marathon
  • 1792: Court Martial of mutineers on the Bounty begins
  • 1862: Battle of Harper's Ferry
  • 1958: Supreme Court orders Little Rock Central High School to integrate
  • 1959: "Bonanza" debuts
  • 1964: Canyonlands National Park designated
  • 1965: Hurricane Betsy hits Florida and Louisiana killing 75
  • 1977: Steve Biko dies in police custody
  • 1981: First broadcast of "The Smurfs" in North America
  • 1992: Mae Jemison is first African American Woman in space
  • Born: Richard Gatling, HL Mencken, Paul Walker, Jennifer Hudson, Barry White, Jesse Owens, 
  • Died: Peter Mark Roget, Anthony Perkins, Johnny Cash, Jack Kramer,  
Thought:
At the end of the book of Hosea I find some words that warn me and make me think. I am reading chapters 10-12 today. Forgive me for skipping around but this is how the passage made sense and spoke to me.
  • 10:1-3. Look at the description of Israel and think about America or think about your personal life.
    • A luxuriant vine. My Bible gives an alternative word for "luxuriant"--"degenerate." This caught my attention. What a fine line we draw between luxury and degenerate. Usually, when we are talking about ourselves we use luxury, for others we might call it degenerate. In August, Jan and I went to Atlanta for a high school reunion. The hotel touted itself as a "Luxury Collection Hotel." Look at what Hosea says about the luxuriant life. 
      • Produces fruit for himself. One diamond ring is not enough--I need more jewelry. One nice home is not enough--I need more. One expensive car is not enough--a need several. When does luxury turn into decadence?
      • The more fruit, the more altars. Notice I am building external signs of holiness.
      • The richer the land, the more sacred pillars.
    • Does this sound familiar. Greedy, we build up riches and possessions for ourselves. God's blessings are used for our personal wealth. And we build more altars and sacred places to demonstrate our righteousness. We like to be recognized for our generosity--name on the building, listed in the program, granted access to the speaker or celebrity. 
    • A faithless heart [10:2]. I have the luxury, taken to excess, but my heart is hard and my walk is with the world.
  • 12:8: My reaction to God's blessing and "my" wealth--Surely I have become rich. I have found wealth for myself. "I" did it. I have noticed that if I happen to do something good and people notice, they say "what a nice person you are" or "how kind or generous you are." And I say, well I just try and do good. I fail to acknowledge that all I did was pass on what God had lovingly provided to me. 
  • 10:4--We speak "mere words." Wow! James must have known about Hosea--I'll show you my faith by my works. Don't be a mere speaker, be a doer.
  • 10:6-8--Judgment is coming for Samaria and Ephraim. And then they will say to the mountains, cover us. Revelation 6:16 gives this same picture--the kings of the earth, great men, rich men said to the mountain and the rocks--fall on us and hide us from the presence of Him who sits on the throne and from the wrath of the Lamb.
  • So what do we do? 12:6 tells us.
    • Return to your God. Malachi 3:7 has this same command--return to God and He will return to you. Picture the prodigal coming home. Or sing, "If you'll take one step toward the Master my friend, you'll find His arms open wide."
    • Observe kindness and justice. Sounds like Micah--do justice, love kindness, walk humbly.
    • Wait for your God continually. 
Reading these chapters makes me examine whether my luxury has become decadence, has God's blessing made me proud and greedy? Do I speak "mere words" or do I speak and do truth? Lord, help us.

Blessings
Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024