Thought for August 8, 2024

  • 1786: Congress selects the dollar as the US monetary unit
  • 1844: Brigham Young elected as successor to Joseph Smith
  • 1911: Size of House of Representatives set at 435
  • 1966: South African Broadcasting bans Beatles songs after Lennon says that the Beatles are more popular than Jesus
  •  1974: Nixon announces he will resign on August 9
  • 1992: "Dream Team" wins Olympic Gold
  • 2021: US women win the 7th consecutive Olympic Gold in basketball
  • 2022: FBI search Mar-a-Largo
  • Born: Dustin Hoffman, Ken Dryden, Roger Federer, Dr. Bob Smith [AA founder], Esther Williams, Webb  Pierce, Connie Stevens, Deborah Norville, Bruce Matthews,  A'ja Wilson
  • Died: Fay Wray, Patricia Neal, Glen Campbell, Olivia Newton-John, Cannonball Adderley, Barbara Bel Geddes ["Dallas"], 
Thought:
Interesting that the Spirit led Mark to place the story in 8:22-26 right after the questions Jesus raised in the boat in 8:14-21. Jesus has just asked the disciples if they are blind, deaf or have hardened hearts. They saw Him feed 5,000 and then 4,000 but did not really see or grasp the truth He was displaying. So He gives them a picture. A blind man is brought to Jesus. Here is the only miracle recorded in the Bible where the results were not immediate. This blind man's sight returns gradually. First he sees men as stick figures, then sees everything clearly. To me, it is like Jesus saying to the disciples that they needed to start seeing what was happening. The reality of who Jesus is and what He came to do should be gradually understood by these men, just like the blind man gradually regained his sight.

What does that say to me? My sight should be getting better every day. My hearing should be improving daily. As I walk with Jesus, I should be able to see Him move better each day. I should be seeing more and more of what He sees daily. I should be able to hear His voice more clearly, understand His will more completely. Paul reminds us that now we see through a glass dimly, but then face to face. But as we walk with the Lord, we should see more clearly and hear better each day. Lord, help me see what you see and hear what You say better today than ever before. 

Now I know this is not a religious song, but think about the words to "I Can See Clearly Now." 
I can see clearly now the rain is gone
I can see all obstacles in my way
Gone are the dark clouds that had me blind
Oh, yes, I can make it now the pain is gone
All of the bad feelings have disappeared
Here is the rainbow I've been praying for
It's gonna be a bright, bright sunshiny day

It is said that Johnny Nash wrote this song while recovering from cataract surgery. My prayer today is for a bright SON shiny day.

Blessings

Larry 

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024