Thought for August 31, 2024

  •  1881: First U.S. men's singles tennis championship
  • 1888: Jack the Ripper's first victim discovered, Mary Ann Nichol
  • 1897: Edison patents kinetographic camera, first device for producing motion pictures
  • 1925: Margaret Meade arrives in Samoa
  • 1946: Foghorn Leghorn premiers in "Walky Talky Hawky"
  • 1965: Department of Housing and Urban Development established
  • 1972: Olga Korbut wins Gold in beam and floor exercise
  • 1994: A computer beats chess champion Garry Kasparov
  • 1997: Princess Diana dies
  • 1997: Titans play first game in Tennessee--Liberty Bowl. 
  • Born: Caligula, Maria Montessori, Alan Lerner, Itzhak Perlman, Richard Gere, Larry Fitzgerald, Chris Tucker, Arthur Godfrey, Van Morrison, Frank Robinson
  • Died: Rocky Marciano, John Bunyan, 
Thought:
Focused on Mark 14:38 today. Maybe this is how you are feeling about something this morning. "The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak." Today is another day in the war. Our fleshly desires are going to come at us with great force today---lust, greed, pride, jealousy, envy, anger, impatience are waiting to win the day. I don't want to fail in any of those areas. I want to demonstrate love, joy, peace, gentleness, long suffering, kindness, faithfulness, self-control. But like the sleepy disciples, I am going to have a hard time today staying alert, awake, on guard. I am going to struggle with the flesh. 

But here is what I am learning, the battle is not won in the flesh. The battle is one in my heart and mind. Paul reminds us that the war is not against flesh and blood, but against the world forces of darkness, the spiritual forces of wickedness. that's why my armor is spiritual, not physical--that's why my weapon is spiritual not physical. That's why my strategy is not physical but involves renewing my mind that results in transformation and victory. Jesus has to win the victory in my mind and heart before He can win the victory in my flesh. 

So for exercise this morning I need to renew my mind in prayer, in soaking in His word, in dying to self. Then the strength of the spirit will control the weakness of the flesh. Lord, come and take control of my mind today.

Blessings
Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024