Thought for August 29, 2024

  •  1833: Britain abolishes slavery
  • 1862: Second Battle of Bull Run
  • 1898: Goodyear founded
  • 1909: First air race--Glenn Curtiss wins
  • 1928: W.A. Criswell ordained [Pastor of First Baptist Dallas for over 50 years]
  • 1967: 78 million watch the last episode of "The Fugitive"
  • 2005: Second and Third landfalls fo Katrina--1800 die, $115 billion in damages
  • Born: John Locke, Eliot Gould, Robin Leach, Bob Beamon, Temple Grandin, Michael Jackson, will Perdue, Neil Gorsuch, John McCain, Richard Attenborough, Charlie Parker ["Bird"], 
  • Died: Brigham Young, Lee Marvin, Archie Campbell, Gene Wilder, Ingrid Bergman  [on her birthday]
Thought:
Mark 14:26 brings back a lot of memories for me. The supper is complete, they sing a hymn and go out toward the Garden. My grandfather was my pastor until I went away to college. He always had the Lord's Supper at the end of the service. We would take the wine, Mogen David kosher grape wine, and the unleavened bread, purchased from Jewish merchants in Atlanta. Then, my grandfather would quote Mark 14:26 and we would sing a hymn as we left the service. 

Have you ever really spent some moments reflecting on Mark 14:22-25. We are sitting at table with Jesus. He takes a loaf of bread. He has already said that He is the bread of life, that which sustains and gives life. Now He offers this bread to you. Take this life giving bread and consume it. He does not say carry a loaf with you. He says carry it in you. The bread must become part of you--Christ in me, my hope of glory. 

Think about Jesus taking a cup with wine and passing it to you saying, this represents my blood shed for you, this is the blood of a new covenant, this is the blood that was shed for many. Now you drink it. The blood was shed for many, but it is effective only for those who partake of it. Carrying a bottle or cup with you doesn't work--it has to be internalized before it transforms. 

When I read this I understand more about the Old Testament. The manna as my daily bread. My prayer for daily bread, yes, for nourishment for my body, but more importantly, bread for my soul. Or I think about the temptation--man does not live by earthly bread alone--but by the Living Word that proceeds from the Father. Or I think about Isaiah 40--as the deer pants for the water. 

Thinking about the supper today reminds me that Jesus offered His body and His blood--He wants me to take and drink and eat so that we are one. Lord, come in, fill me with Yourself until it is no longer me who lives, but You who live in me.

Blessings
Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024