Thought for August 28, 2024

  • 1837: John Lea and William Perrins manufacture Worcestershire Sauce 
  • 1845: First issue of Scientific American magazine
  • 1898: Caleb Bradshaw renames his soda drink--Pepsi Cola
  • 1963: Martin Luther King's "I Have a Dream" speech
  • 1968: Democratic Convention in Chicago
  • 1981: President Reagan shot by John Hinckley
  • Born: Johann Goethe, Elizabeth Ann Seton [1st American Catholic Saint], Shania Twain, LeAnn Rimes, Scott Hamilton, Todd Eldredge, Ira Sankey [song leader for Dwight Moody], 
  • Died: Augustine of Hippo ["Confessions" and "The City of God"], Frederick Law Olmstead [Central Park, Biltmore estate], Emmett Till, William P. Foster [long-time director of the Florida A&M Red Rattler marching band]
Thought:
Mark does not record the conversation between Jesus and Judas at the supper table. Mark's account simply gives Jesus warning that (a) one of the twelve will betray Jesus; (b) it will be one who is eating with Jesus, and (c) it is the one who dips in the bowl at the same time as Jesus. Have you ever thought about the other eleven sitting at the table? I am always challenged to place myself in the stories we read in the Bible--who am I in this event? What would I do and say? How would I react? Read Mark 14:17-21 with me this morning. The other gospel writers also give us details, but I am just reading what Mark wrote under the inspiration of the Spirit. Many commentators and historians say that Mark is writing based on Peter's recollections. And maybe Peter did not want to talk about the details of how someone betrayed Jesus for in a few hours Peter would be denying Christ three times. In any event, where am I in this story?

The first thing I notice is that the betrayer was eating with Jesus, he was at the table with the inner circle. John later writes that in the church there will be some who are with us but not OF us. This is a reminder that church attendance, even church leadership, does not mean that someone is of the church. I am often guilty of associating participation with relationship. Reading this makes me examine myself--am I really a disciple? 

The next thing I notice is that the other disciples did not seem to know their own status. They kept asking, "is it me?" This reminds me that satan deceives us, tells us we are okay, lies to us about our sin. I have told young men that the devil is like an unfaithful first base coach in baseball---he tells you you can get further and further away from the base, until you are so far off base that he tells you you cannot get back. He deceives me into the little sins and little errors, then when I find myself out of fellowship, he tells me Jesus doesn't want me back, I am too far gone, I cannot go home. 

Then I am hit by another reality about this story---when Jesus is arrested, tried, beaten and crucified, where were these other disciples. Peter denies. Most others scatter in fear. Only John seems to be at the cross. When I think about who I would be in the story, I want to be John---there at the trial and there at the cross. But more than likely, I am one of the others---denying His love, grace an power, with the way I live, or like the rest, running away, not standing fast, not being steadfast. 

Judas was not the only one who betrayed Jesus--the others repented and came home. I think I am one of them. 

Blessings
Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024