Thought for August 19, 2024

  • 1839: Louis Daguerre's photographic process published "free to the world" as a gift from the French government 
  • 1909: Indianapolis Motor Speedway opens
  • 1934: First All-American Soap Box Derby
  • Born: Charles Hires [root beer], Orville Wright, Malcolm Forbes, Gene Roddenberry [Creator of Star Trek, but also a decorated combat pilot with 89 combat missions],  Coco Chanel, Bill Clinton, Matthew Perry, Mary Joe Fernandez, Bill Shoemaker
  • Died: Augustus Caesar [Caesar when Jesus was born], Groucho Marx, Blaise Pascal [mathematician, probability theory, and devout Christian], Linus Pauling
Thought:
Reading Mark 10:46-52 this morning. We all are familiar with the story of blind Bartimaeus. A blind man sitting by the road near Jericho as Jesus walks by. I notice his cry--"Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me." He must have heard about Jesus. Perhaps he had heard about His healing of the blind, deaf, dumb, lame, possessed. Maybe he had even heard about some of His teaching. In any event, notice his plea--he recognizes that Jesus is the king, the son of David. The one who will take the throne of David and establish His everlasting kingdom. Bartimaeus calls to the king for mercy--mercy usually means not getting the penalty you deserve. Grace usually means getting a blessing you do not deserve. I wonder if Bartimaeus is saying that he understands he deserves to be in this condition, but knows that Jesus can remove the curse, transfer him from darkness to light. 

I see that Bartimaeus is persistent. People tell him to be quiet, but he persists. Why? Desperation? His only chance, his only hope? He is like we were when we were lost--living in darkness, helpless and hopeless. Then the Light of the world appears. And Jesus hears and responds to Bartimaeus, the same way He responds to me--come close to Me Larry. Now look at verse 50. This verse always amazes me. A blind man throws off his cloak to come to Jesus. What if Jesus doesn't heal him---how will he find his cloak again. Here I see faith in action. Bartimaeus is so sure, so certain that Jesus will heal him that he doesn't think about needing to find his cloak. This makes me wonder why I try to cling to things of the world for security. I don't just run in faith to Jesus because I am busy holding on to something I think I need or must have. When will I learn that in Jesus, I have everything I need for live and godliness [2 Peter 1:3]

This passage makes me think about what I am trying to hold on to and what I need to let go of to follow Christ. Maybe you should think about the same thing.

Blessings
Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024