Thought for May 29, 2024

  •  1912: Curtis Publishing fires 15 young women for dancing the "turkey trot" during lunch break
  • 1919: Patent for pop-up toaster filed
  • 1922: Supreme Court says baseball is not a business and therefore exempt from the anti-trust laws
  • 1942: Bing Crosby records "White Christmas"
  • 1953: Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Norgay summit Everest [Norgay's birthday]
  • 1977: Janet Guthrie is first women to drive in the Indy 500
  • 2004: World War II Memorial dedicated in Washington
  • 2015: "Jurassic Park" premiers
  • 2018: ABC cancels "Roseanne" after she posts "racist" tweet
  • 2019: Transgenderism no longer classified as a mental illness
  • Born: Patrick Henry, Bob Hope, John Kennedy, Fay Vincent, Al Unser, John Hinckley [shot Reagan], Annette Benning, Carmelo Anthony
  • Died: William Gilbert [Gilbert & Sullivan], Mary Pickford, Barry Goldwater, Dennis Hopper, Manuel Noriega
Thought:
Reading Psalm 50:7-15 this morning. As I read these verses, I wonder what God thinks of my sacrifices. Israel was bringing sacrifices required by the law, but apparently their attitude was poor. Rather than offering sacrifices in grateful praise, they were taking the attitude that they were bringing something to God that He needed. So, God speaks:
  • God does not need your bulls and goats. Why? He owns every living creature. And if He needs more, all He does is speak and they are. 
  • God is not hungry so that you need to provide for Him. Everything is His--all the animals, all the fish, all the grain, all the fruit. And besides, He is not flesh that needs fleshly food, He is God who is eternal, self-sufficient. 
So what sacrifices does God seek? 
  • Thanksgiving. Not just saying thank you. True thanksgiving acknowledges that everything is His and we have not earned or deserved anything except punishment for our sin. True thanksgiving says I understand that without you God, I am bound for an eternity of darkness, pain, and suffering that I deserve. True thanksgiving acknowledges that He is the giver of every good and perfect gift. True thanksgiving gives Him all glory, honor and praise.
  • Obedience. My translation says "pay your vows." God always keeps His word, His promises never fail. He expects the sacrifice of obedience--keep the vow that I made to Him. I accepted His gift of forgiveness and grace and vowed tht He was my Savior and Lord. Larry, keep the vow. Jesus asked, why do you call me Lord and then don't do what I commanded. Larry, keep your vow. Jesus commanded, love God with all your heart, sol mind and strength and your neighbor as yourself--Larry, keep your vow. Romans 12:1 tells me to present my body as as living sacrifice which is my spiritual service of worship to give witness to the will of God for my life.
God's commands are so simple--recognize who He is and obey what He says. Then look at His promise--if we call in the day of trouble, He will rescue us. And then we will give Him honor and glory and praise. 

Blessings
Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024