Thought for May 25, 2024

  •  1521: Edict of Worms--outlaws Martin Luther and his followers
  • 1784: Jews expelled from Warsaw
  • 1787: Constitutional Convention opens
  • 1842: Christian Doppler presents the Doppler Effect
  • 1932: Dippy Dawg appears in Mickey's Revue--name later changed to Goofy
  • 1935: Jesse Owens equals or breaks 4 world records during a 45-minute period at the Big Ten track meet
  • 1951: Willie Mays plays his first major league game
  • 1961: JFK announces goal of man on the moon by the end of the decade
  • 1962: Isley Brothers release "Twist and Shout"
  • 1965: Ali knocks out Sonny Liston
  • 1968: Gateway Arch dedicated
  • 1977: "Star Wars" released
  • 2001: Eric Welhenmayer is the first blind person to summit Everest
  • 2011: Last "Oprah Winfrey Show"
  • 2017: "Wonder Woman" premiers
  • Born: Ralph Waldo Emerson, Bill Robinson [Mr. Bojangles], Igor Sikorsky [helicopter], Lindsey Nelson, Robert Ludlum ["Bourne Identity"], Beverly Sills, Tom T Hall, Dixie Carter, Mike Myers, Anne Heche, Octavia Spencer, Aly Raisman [gymnast]
  • Died: Charles Nelson Riley, George Floyd
Thought:
Psalm 42 is a familiar psalm. Most of the time, we focus on verse 1. Today, I am looking at all the verses to understand verse 1. The psalm says it is a maskil, a contemplation. My Bible says it is a Maskil of the sons of Korah. Back in Numbers, we recall the rebellion of Korah and two others and Korah and his family are swallowed up by the ground. Apparently some of the sons of Korah survived and became musicians. Spurgeon says that the words are from David, but the music and melody are from the sons of Korah. 

Before going back to verse one, notice the condition of the writer. Ever feel this way?
  • My soul is in a drought. [42:2] My soul has been drained, it is dry, dusty, no water or moisture.
  • My eyes have cried all their tears [42:3] I am at the end of my strength, I don't understand what's going on. 
  • People are mocking me [42:3, 10] Sounds like Job's friends saying your problems are due to your sin. Here, I have said my God is faithful, but I haven't seen Him act so my adversaries mock me. 
  • I remember the good times of worship and praise, but they seem like a long time ago. They may even feel unreal. [42:4]
  • I think Jesus has forgotten me and my plight. [42:9]
Then I ask, why are you in despair? Why are you anxious, restless, disturbed. [42:5, 11] And then I understand--Hope/trust in God for I will yet praise Him. [42:5, 11] Sometimes I need to remind myself that while my circumstances tell me God is not hearing, God is not seeing, God is not answering, God loves me with a steadfast love. His mercy is forever. Satan's lies have cause my despair, but I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that He is able to keep His promises. 

Now verse 1--when in despair, confusion, distress---my soul thirsts for God--His presence, His grace, His mercy, His power, His strength. And Jesus has told us to come and drink--He is the Living Water. When my soul is dry, come and drink. When my mind is confused, come and drink. Makes me sing a little chorus from  the hymn--"I'm living on the mountain, underneath a cloudless sky. I'm drinking at a fountain that never shall run dry; O yes I'm feasting on the manna from a bountiful supply, for I am dwelling in Beulah Land." 

Blessings
Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024