Thought for May 24, 2024

  •  1738: John Wesley has Aldersgate experience
  • 1844; Samuel Morse types, "What hath God wrought?" First telegraph message.
  • 1935: First major league night baseball game--Reds and Phillies in Cincinnati
  • 1941: HMS Hood sinks the Bismarck
  • 1978: Term "the glass ceiling" coined by Marilyn Loden
  • 1988: Parliament passes law prohibiting the promotion of homosexuality--repealed in 2004
  • Born: Daniel Fahrenheit, Queen Victoria, Bob Dylan, Rosanne Cash, John C. Reilly
  • Died: Copernicus, John Foster Douglas, Duke Ellington
Thought:
Yesterday, David advised us that we should wait patiently on the Lord, trusting His timing and plan. Today, I am reading the first 3 verses of Psalm 40.  Here David describes what happens when we wait patiently on the Lord. 
  • He hears our cries [40:1]. That truth alone should make us shout with joy. The Creator, the God of heaven, the Lord of lords hears our cries. He is not far off. He is not deaf. He hears us. Think about trying to get the ear of a powerful person. How can I get the ear of my congressman, senator, president. How can I get some time with the pastor, the oner of the business where I work. God hears our cries. What a blessed thought. How much grace and mercy does not reflect? The Righteous One hears the cries of sinners. 
  • He lifts us up. We are sinking, slipping, falling. No place to put our foot, no rock to stand on, no high ground. Then Jesus delivers us. Notice, He lifts us from the things that would cause us to slip, but he also places us on a firm foundation. David says repeatedly, He is my rock, my solid ground. 
  • He gave us a new song. [40:3] Makes me think of some of the renditions of "When the Saints Go Marching In." The band begins as a dirge--slow, painful, almost out of tune. Then, a trumpet blast and the band breaks into the chorus--joyful, powerful, hopeful. That's how Jesus works---a new song, a new melody, a new pace. 
  • My response to His blessings---many will hear my praise and worship God. [40:3] What a transformation--I wait patiently, He hears, He responds, I praise, others hear about Him. 
Blessings
Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024