Thought for May 22, 2024

  •  334 BC: Alexander the Great leads Macedonian army in victory over Darius III of Persia
  • 1570: First world atlas published by Abraham Ortelius in Antwerp
  • 1843: First wagon train departs Independence MO for Oregon 
  • 1939: Hitler and Mussolini sign Pact of Steel forming the Rome-Berlin Axis
  • 1992: First appearance of Johnny Carson as host of the "Tonight Show"
  • 2003: Annika Sorenstam is first woman to play the PGA Tour in 58 years.
  • 2004: Hallam NE destroyed by tornado 2.5 miles wide
  • Born: Richard Wagner, Arthur Conan Doyle, Lawrence Olivier, Ted Kaczynski, Novak Dokovic, 
  • Died: Constantine the Great, Martha Washington, Victor Hugo, Langston Hughes
Thought:
Reading Psalm 33:6-12 today.  This psalm does not indicate who wrote it. The first 5 verses instruct us to praise God--praise Him with thanksgiving, praise Him with song and instrument, praise Him joyfully. My habit is to get up each morning and remind myself--This is the day the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad in it. That simple start reminds me that I should rejoice today, no matter what circumstances I face. Why? The Lord made this day and He made everything I see. He has a plan for His creation. And nothing can stop His plan from completion. If He is my God, I have reason to rejoice. 

Beginning in verse 4, the writer makes a connection between God's word and God's works. His works are a manifestation of His word. So, when we get to verse 6, we are reminded that He spoke everything into existence. The power of His word creates, sustains, preserves, and one day will destroy. This leads me to consider verse 9--He spoke and it was done. Usually when we think about God speaking and it being done, we are thinking about Genesis. John and Paul confirm that Jesus [the Living Word] was the creative force  that brought worlds into being. This morning, I am thinking about other things that God has spoken, because those things are done as well. 

When God in the prophets and Jesus in His ministry tell us about future events--they are done. They are fixed. They are real, even though we may not have yet seen them. Jesus said He was going to prepare a place for us--so that place is real, it exists, even though I have not yet seen it. When He says Satan will be cast into th fire--it is done, there is no escape, there is no changing. It is as real as the floor on which you are standing. Why? Because He spoke and it was done. 

When God says I will never leave or forsake you, it was done. It is not subject to change because of circumstances. There is no one who can change or alter that. It is done. This morning think of all those verses we consider to be future promises--they are all done! Knowing that gives me confidence for today, peace for today, hope for today. 

I have said before what I heard from a pastor--people say God said it, I believe it, that settles it. But that is wrong--God said it, that settled it, I can choose whether to believe it or not--but it is settled, because the mouth of the Lord has spoken. That is good news.

Blessings
Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024