Thought for May 21, 2024

  •  1819: First bicycles in the US introduced in NYC
  • 1832: First Democratic National Convention
  • 1881: Clara Barton founds American Red Cross; U.S. Lawn Tennis Association established
  • 1917: Great Atlanta Fire--10,000 displaced but only 1 killed
  • 1924: Leopold and Loeb kidnap and kill Bobby Franks
  • 1927: Lindbergh lands in France
  • 1980: "The Empire Strikes Back" premiers
  • 1990: Last episode of "Newhart"
  • Born: Fats Waller, Jeffrey Dahmer, Mr. T
  • Died: Hernando DeSoto, John Gielgud [Hobson in the real "Arthur" and winner of Tony, Oscar, Grammy and Emmy]
Thought:
Reading the first 5 verses of Psalm 32 this morning. Just read that first verse. How blessed is the person whose sin is covered! Praise God! Easter usually causes us to focus on this truth, but I should get up every morning praising the name of Jesus who covered my sin with His blood. 

Think for a moment what it means if my sin is not covered, not forgiven. I stand guilty before God. And the wages of sin is death. In the days of cheap grace, I forget about the depths of my sin, the path I was on, the end of my story. I sing about amazing grace, but forget the cost. I am prompted to count my blessings and what do I list--my family, my job, my possession,  the country I live in, the opportunities I enjoy. But the first and foremost blessing is --- my sin is covered.  If I received nothing more, I am blessed abundantly above anything that I deserve. Everything else is bonus, extra, additional. 

Think about what this verse means. Even when I am sick, poor, hurt, hungry---I am supremely blessed. My state of being blessed is not measured by my physical condition, my bank statement, my occupation, my position-my greatest blessing is that my sin is covered. I guess if I thought about that every day, my heart would be content, my joy would be complete, my peace would be overflowing---Jesus is my sufficiency. In Him I have everything I need for this life and the next. 

Jesus has done it all--all to Him I owe. But what is my part--I acknowledge my sin [32:5], I know I cannot hide my sin from Him although, like Adam and Eve, I think I can. I confess my sin [32:5] knowing that if I confess my sin, He is faithful and just to forgive my sin and cleanse me from all unrighteousness. And I will rejoice and shout for joy telling all around me that I am blessed, not because of who I am but because of who He is. [32:11]

Lord, when you paid the price for me, You provided the greatest blessing I will ever receive. Help me remember that and tell others about that forever.

Blessings
Larry



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024