Thought for May 2, 2024

  • 1936: "Peter and the Wolf" premiers in Moscow 
  • 1945: Battle of Berlin ends
  • 1949:Arthur Miller wins Pulitzer for "Death of a Salesman"
  • 2008: "Iron Man" released
  • 2011: Osama bin Laden killed by Special Forces
  • Born: The Red Baron, Dwayne Johnson, David Beckham
  • Died: Leonardo da Vinci, Joseph McCarthy, J Edgar Hoover, 
Thought:
Proverbs 12 and 13 begin with similar thoughts:
  • 12:1--Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.
  • 13:1--A wise son accepts his father's discipline, but a scoffer does not listen to rebuke.
  • 3:12-- For whom the Lord loves He reproves, even as a father, the son in whom he delights.
Think about these proverbs with me today. 

I should love discipline. Why? Because it shows me God loves me. God cares about what I am doing and who I am becoming. He wants me to look like Him. Discipline is one of the ways in which the Father teaches me His ways--through discipline I learn and understand what He loves, values. Though discipline I gain wisdom for I get to know God and His character.  Now go back and think about yourself as a child and yourself as a parent. How did you view discipline then?

As a child I may have accepted discipline but I can't recall loving discipline. As I grew up, I began to see the rewards of discipline---as I conformed to the discipline of my parents, they were proud of me, and that became a great reward. Then I could learn to translate that to my relationship with the Father--discipline led to conformity with His will and that brought His blessing. Perhaps sports was the best teacher of this for me. Repeating over and over a play, a pass, a shot, a swing until I did it perfectly according to the coach was hard--but when discipline produced results and the smile of the coach, that was a great reward. 

These proverbs also remind me that if I refuse the discipline of someone who loves me, I am stupid. The parent, coach or Father has my good in mind and a goal of helping me conform to their standards. It would be stupid not to listen to them, mind them, accept their correction. Yet, I can recall so many times when I wanted to do it my way. Sometimes, I thought I had a better idea, sometimes I thought what I heard from friends and others was better advice, sometimes I just wanted to do it my way. And almost always, my way wasn't the best way. 

I wish I could report that today I love discipline, correction, rebuke, admonition--but most of the time I resist, reject, rebel. And the results have not changed--His way is always best. Lord, help me learn that Your way always leads me closer to You, always brings a smile to Your face and glory to Your name. And my way may look good, but doesn't end well. Help me love the discipline of the Lord.

Blessings
Larry


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024