Thought for January 9, 2024

  • 1811: First women's golf tournament
  • 1866: Fisk University opens
  • 1942: Joint Chiefs of Staff created
  • 1960: Building of Aswan Dam begins
  • 1991: Pete Rose banned from Baseball HOF
  • 2001: Apple announces iTunes
  • 2007: Apple announces iPhone
  • Born: Carrie Chapman Catt [founded League of Women Voters], Gertrude Vanderbilt Whitney [founded Whitney Museum of Art], Richard Nixon, Lee Van Cleef, Bart Starr, Bob Denver, Dick Enberg, Joan Baez, Crystal Gayle, Dave Matthews, Sergio Garcia, Kate Middleton, 
  • Died: Pete Dye [golf course architect], Bob Saget
Thought:
Continuing to think about the miracles of Jesus. Just saying that brings a hymn to mind--"when He saved my soul, cleansed and made me whole, it was a miracle of love and grace." Yesterday we looked at Jesus' first miracle--water to wine in Cana. John 4:46-54 records a second miracle in Cana. Jesus has left Judea following the arrest of John the Baptist and traveled back to Galilee. On the way, He meets the Samaritan woman at the well. While in Cana, a nobleman [royal official probably serving Herod] approaches Jesus. 

The official was from Capernaum and his son was dying. The official implores Jesus to come to Capernaum and heal his son. Now notice what happens--
  • Jesus replies that people will not believe without signs and wonders. This hit me--am I always asking Jesus for a sign, for a miracle, for something to help me believe. Is God becoming flesh, dying in my place, being raised from the dead and sitting at the right hand of the Father not enough. Is the presence of the indwelling Holy Spirit insufficient evidence of His love, grace and power. Do I constantly need Jesus to do something that I can see. 
  • The official is persistent [4:49]. Reminds me to be persistent in my prayers. Praying daily, seeking His will, not mine. Seeking His glory, not my comfort. 
  • Jesus tells the official to go home, your son lives. What I notice here is that the man does not ask any questions of Jesus--how, when, are You sure. He starts back to Capernaum. In 4:50 we have something I need to see---he believed and then he acted on that belief. I say I believe the promises of God--then I should act like i believe them.
  • On the way the official gets confirmation. God is so good. The man did not have to wait till he walked all the way home. Once he started walking in faith, God sent confirmation. Maybe I should remember that. Larry, starting doing what Jesus told you to do and He will send confirmation that you are on the right path. I want to wait for confirmation--but if I really trust and believe, I act without the confirmation because I am confident in the One who spoke. 
Lord, remind me that faith is the substance of things unseen. That I should and can trust you without seeing or understanding. Help me be consistent and persistent in my conversations with You. And when You speak in the Word or in prayer, help me act immediately and without question, knowing You always keep Your promises. And thank You Lord for sending us confirmation of your love, grace, mercy and presence at just the right time. 

Blessings
Larry 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024