Thought for December 9, 2023

  • 1621: Deacon Robert Cushman preaches the first recorded sermon in America and the first one printed. 
  • 1854: Tennyson's "Charge of the Light Brigade" publshed
  • 1907: First Christmas Seals sold
  • 1926: USGA legalizes steel shaft golf clubs
  • 1941: Hitler orders U.S. ships torpedoed
  • 1946: Communist burn a group of Christians in a seminary at Xiwanzi China
  • 1965: "A Charlie Brown Christmas" premiers
  • 1990: Lech Walesa wins Polish Presidency
  • Born: John Milton, Joel Chandler Harris, Clarence Birdseye, Emett Kelley [clown], Margaret Hamilton [Wicked Witch of the West], Grace Hopper [Navy Admiral, computer pioneer, coined "debugging"], Broderick Crawford, Tip O'Neill, Kirk Douglas, Redd Foxx, Judi Dench, Dick Butkus
  • Died: William Harvey Carney [1st Black Medal of Honor recipient], Ralph Bunche [1st person of color to win the Nobel Prize], Leon Jaworski [Watergate prosecutor], Mary Leakey [earliest human footprints], Archie Moore
Thought:
Reading Revelation 22:20 this morning. Jesus says, "Yes, I am coming quickly." and John says "Amen. Come Lord Jesus." 

When I was a child, by December 9 I had made up my Christmas list from the Sears Catalogue. I was anxious for Christmas to get here. I was pestering my parents about any presents that might have appeared at the house. Our tree was not up yet; Mom thought a week before Christmas was plenty soon and that New Year's Day was the required day for the tree to be gone. Time seemed to pass slowly so we made calendars to mark off the days. That didn't help. I wanted things to happen quickly. 

Sitting on the Isle of Patmos having received this amazing Revelation from the Lord, I wonder what John was thinking when he wrote that Jesus is coming quickly. What would John think if he was here with us today---2000 years later and Jesus has not come again. Would John be doubting, questioning, disappointed, distressed?

When I read these verses, I am reminded that Jesus lives outside of time. He is not bound by time and space. And every day He waits to come, more people have the chance to hear and believe. 

But as I read 22:20 I see how John responded--Amen. Jesus has said He is coming quickly. John's response is let it be so. Jesus let it be exactly as You say. You are the Almighty--You are the King--may Your coming be just as You say. I don't need to know the details. I don't need to know the date. You are in charge, Jesus, You come at just the right time. Maybe this is something for me to learn from John. Jesus, I want You to come, but You are in charge--come when the time is perfect and the prophesies are all fulfilled. I trust You for the timing because I know that You always keep Your promises. 

So I join with John and say--"Come, Lord Jesus." And then it occurs to me that this should be my daily prayer---today Lord, come to me, come in me, come through me. Jesus, come to the world today through me. A few days ago we wrote about the sweet and soothing aroma of our lives. I am reminded today that Jesus walks the earth every day in His sheep. May we leave that sweet aroma of Jesus everywhere we go today.

Blessings
Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024