Thought for September 9, 2023

  •  1543: Mary Queen of Scots crowned at age 9 months.
  • 1776: Congress officially names our country the United States of America
  • 1904: New York baseball team first called the Yankees--not official until 1913
  • 1942: First bombing on U.S. soil--Nobuo Fujita bombs a forest in Oregon after taking off from a submarine in a float plane
  • 1956: Elvis appears on the Ed Sullivan Show for the first time
  • Born: William Bligh, Leo Tolstoy, Colonel Sanders, Otis Redding, Hugh Grant, Adam Sandler, Bob Stoops
  • Died: William the Conqueror, Mao Zedong, Burgess Meredith, Edward Teller [Father of the hydrogen bomb]
JAN AND I LEAVE THIS MORNING FOR A TRIP TO AUSTRIA AND SWITZERLAND. THE BLOG MAY BE LATE  OR ABSENT SOME DURING THE TRIP. WE WILL BE BACK OCTOBER 1.

Thought:
Looking at two passages in Hebrews today--2:17-18 and 4:15-16. These also make me think of 2 Corinthians 5:21. Think about these truths today:
  • Jesus had to be made like us--wholly man---so that He could become the merciful and faithful high priest to atone for my sins. [2:17] Jesus gave up His throne, took the omnipotence, omniscience, and omnipresence of God and became flesh. He took the infinite and made if finite. Why? For only as a man could He live the perfect life, die the atoning death and defeat sin, death and the grave. And only as God could He rise again to eternity. 
  • Jesus faced every temptation I face and never yielded. [4:15] Think about that! I can never claim that I am the only one to ever deal with a temptation--Jesus faced every one. I have no excuse for yielding and sinning. Even Paul would say that the things he wants to do, he does not do and those things he never wants to do, he does. So when temptation comes, I have someone to talk to, to get strength and counsel from, who has faced that temptation. He understands and in Him is the power to resist, to flee, to overcome, to defeat the temptation. 
  • Jesus never sinned, but He became sin so that I could be the righteousness of God [2 Cor. 5:21]. Jesus was perfect, spotless, sinless, so He volunteered to become the perfect sacrifice to satisfy the wrath of God in my place. Love poured out on calvary. 
  • Since my sins have been atoned, since my debt has been paid, since God sees me through the blood of Christ, I can draw near to His throne of grace with confidence. What is that confidence--that at His throne I will receive His mercy and be covered and powered by His grace so that I can meet every situation. And so I claim His promise that He can cause ALL grace to abound toward me, so that I will ALWAYS have ALL sufficiency in EVERYTHING needed to abound to EVERY good work. 
What does that mean today--I can face every trial, every temptation, every situation with confidence that if I go to Him for wisdom strength, power, He will pour out grace sufficient to meet every need. That is good news. 

Blessings
Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024