Thought for August 14, 2023

  •  1945: VJ Day
  • Born: Doc Holliday, Steve Martin, Gary Larson ["Far Side"], Halle Berry, Mike Vrabel, Magic Johnson
  • Died: David Farragut ["Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead"], William Randolph Hearst
Thought:
Looking at Colossians 3:17 and 3:23 which I have underlined. Today I am focused on the fact that both verses say "whatever." Last Friday we considered verse 17, today look at 23. 

Whatever work you are doing, do it heartily as for the Lord, not for men. What work do you have planned for today? This verse is written in the context of a slave working for a master. We often hear sermons using this verse to describe our work for our earthly bosses--give them a full days work, honestly, sincerely. But Paul repeatedly calls himself a bond-servant of Christ--a slave, owned by the most loving and gracious Master. So when I read this verse I think about my work for the Lord--do I approach it heartily? "Heartily" can mean fully, completely, entirely, absolutely, cheerfully.  One definition includes "enthusiastically." Makes sense since enthusiasm comes from "en theos"--God filled. 

Now when I read this verse, I mainly think of my work for others because it says we are to work for others the same way we work for the Lord Christ. But today, I wonder if I approach the Lord's work heartily. Am I all in when called upon to love those I don't like. That's the work the Lord calls me to. Am I absolutely committed when loving my enemies--that's God's work for me. Or maybe it's just keeping the nursery, working VBS, teaching, ushering, greeting--do I do all heartily--full hearted? Is  my prayer life done heartily--praying cheerfully for others, confessing my sin heartily, sincerely, entirely. 

This morning I am having to examine myself--I am retired from "work" but find myself doing work every day---am I doing it as unto the Lord Christ? Or am I coasting, half-hearted, just looking for a passing grade. Lord, correct me when my work for You is not heartily---worthy of who You are.

Blessings
Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024