Thought for July 8, 2023

1741: Jonathan Edwards preaches his sermon "Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God" for the first time, setting off a revival.

1800: First cowpox vaccination in the US to prevent smallpox

1913: Patent for the erector set issued

Born: John Pemberton, Ferdinand von Zeppelin, John D Rockefeller, Anjelica Houston, Toby Keith

Died: Vivien Leigh, Betty Ford, Ernest Borgnine, 

Thought:

I concluded my thought yesterday asking Jesus to allow me to see myself as He sees me. This leads directly into Galatians 6:

  • 6:1--We will all fail to live perfectly under the Spirit's lead and will fall into some of the deeds and thoughts described in 5:19-21. What do we do? We restore the one who fails with gentleness--we do not compromise the truth, but we are gentle in how we respond, discipline, correct and admonish. We bear each others burdens [6:2]. We recognize that sometimes my joy is insufficient and my peace is disturbed--so my brothers and sisters rally to me and encourage and comfort and assure. We know that sometimes my love is weak and so others love me back into the right relationship. And we do not look down on those that fail because we will fail too, maybe in a different way, but we will fail. Satan comes to tell us to have pride, to consider ourselves better than someone else, but Jesus tells us to be humble recognizing we are sinners saved by His grace. 
  • 6:7---For those that would sow the fleshly deeds, don't think you can fool God or that you can thumb your nose at God [mock]. Recall the people walking by the cross mocking Jesus, telling Him if He is the Christ to come down off the cross or saying He could save others but cannot save Himself. What gall---if He came off the cross He would prove that He is not the Christ--for the Christ came to be the sacrifice for His sheep. 
  • 6:9--for those that are working hard to produce the fruit of the Spirit, do not lose heart and grow weary doing good. Endure, hold on, keep the faith--in His timing you will also reap what you have sown-- a crown of life.
Again, Lord, let me see myself and others as You see me and them. Give us the faith to trust Your promises and the will to obey--the harvest awaits. Help me rest on Your promises and trust Your timing. 
Blessings
Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024