Thought for July 27, 2023

  • 1549: First Christian missionary reaches Japan, Francis Xavier
  • 1586: Walter Raleigh brings tobacco from Virginia to England
  • 1789: Department of Foreign Affairs created--State Department
  • 1890: Vincent Van Gogh shoots himself, dies 2 days later
  • 1921: Frederick Banting and Charles Best isolate insulin
  • 1940: Bugs Bunny debuts in "Wild Hare"
  •  Born: Leo Durocher, Peggy Fleming, 
  • Died: Bob Hope
Thought:
I am reading Philippians 1:12 this morning where I have underlined the word "progress." There is much in the news these days about student progress in our public schools. Are students moving toward the goals? All of us try to make progress in life. We try and have a lower score on the golf course and celebrate when we do. We want to progress in our careers and celebrate when we get that promotion. We want to progress in our health--so we celebrate when we lose weight, walk a certain distance. We are all about making progress---in healthcare and treatments as we seek a cure for cancer and other diseases. We want progress in the right things.

Now read that verse and think about progress. The word in the original language is a word that means to advance or blaze a trail in front of an army as the army goes into a new territory. With that meaning in mind, now look at the verse--my circumstances have turned out for the greater progress of the gospel. Paul is talking about how his imprisonment turned out to be an opportunity to preach to those who would not otherwise hear. 

Now let me think about my circumstances. Can I say that my circumstances [good and bad] have turned out for the greater progress of the gospel. Have I allowed the Lord to use my circumstances for the progress of the gospel. Did my hospital stay or my visit to the doctor turn out to be for the progress of the gospel. Did my trip to the store, car wreck, flat tire, turn out for the progress of the gospel? What about my roof damage, tree down, plumbing problem--did they turn out for the progress of the gospel? Or perhaps my new job, promotion, reassignment, relocation--did they turn out for the progress of the gospel? Often as we look back, we see how God used our circumstances for the progress of the gospel. Maybe every time a new circumstance arises I should ask the Lord, how will You use this for the progress of the gospel? Approaching every circumstance this way may help me use every circumstance to spread the gospel--an opportunity to witness, an opportunity to share, encourage, correct, comfort. An opportunity to example how a Christian faces this circumstance with grace and hope and peace. 

In this verse, Paul reminds us that we may be sent on a trailblazing mission--new territory, new people, new situation so that we can give greater progress to the gospel. Lord help me be ready when You call.

Blessing
Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024