Thought for July 21, 2023

  •  1861: First Battle of Bull Run
  • 1853: Land set aside for Central Park
  • 1925: John Scopes found guilty of teaching evolution in Dayton TN
  • Born: Ernest Hemingway, Robin Williams, 
  • Died: Robert Burns, Jimmie Foxx, Alan Shepard
Thought:
Having urged the Ephesians and us to walk worthy of our calling in Christ [4:1], Paul gives further teaching on how we should walk. He tells us to walk united as one body in 4:4-6, even though we each have different gifts to be used for the growth of the body [4:7-16]. The use of our gifts has one goal--that we all attain to the unity of the faith and knowledge of Jesus; mature Christians filled with Christ. [4:13] Have you ever thought about that--our goal in life is to be filled with Jesus so that it is no longer I who live, but Jesus who lives in and through me. And all of our respective gifts are to be used to help each other attain that goal. So using my gifts is not only for my benefit, but for the benefit of the body of Christ. And if I fail or refuse to use my gifts, the body suffers and so do I. 

Now notice what else Paul says about walking worthy of the calling in Christ:
  • Do not walk in the futility of your mind. [4:17] Paul is talking about those who have not accepted Christ, but I read it as applying to me when I rely on my own thoughts and ideas or lean on my own understanding. When I decide to do things my way, the end is often futility and darkness. I must willfully seek the light of Christ and walk in His ways and not my ways. This means
    • Speaking truth and not lying. [4:25]. 
    • Not letting anger lead to hatred, revenge, getting even. [4:27]
    • Not stealing--things, time, attention. [4:28] But producing things that I can share--both physical things like food, water, but also love, joy, peace,, etc.
    • Using my tongue to edify, speak grace, not for unwholesome talk. Think about that. If the only words I say are wholesome and gracious, how much talking would I do today. 
    • Avoid bitterness, anger, clamor, slander and malice---in action and thought. Instead, be kind and forgiving. Why? If we are growing into the fulness and likeness of Christ, we want to be exactly like Him--forgiving and kind; gracious and merciful. 
  • Paul sums this up by saying, imitate God [5:1] I guess that's why we are called Christians--little Christs. Today, will the world see an imitation of God as revealed in Christ in my life. Or will I give the world false impressions about who God is? Lord, help us represent You well today.
Blessings
Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024