Thought for June 13

One year ago today, I posted my first thought on this blog. 

 History:

  • 1774: Rhode Island is first colony to prohibit the importation of slaves
  • 1888: Department of Labor created
  • 1917: Deadliest air raid on London during WWI--162 killed, 432 injured
  • 1920: Postal Service prohibits mailing babies 
  • 1922: Longest recorded attack of hiccups begins--lasts 68 years
  • 1927: Ticker tape parade in NYC for Charles Lindbergh
  • 1933: SS formed by Hermann Goering
  • 1948: Babe Ruth's final farewell at Yankee Stadium-dies August 16
  • 1962: Movie "Lolita" released
  • 1971: NY Times begins publishing excerpts from the Pentagon Papers
  • 1997: Timothy McVeigh sentenced to death in OKC bombing
  • Born: Martha Washington, Basil Rathbone, Red Grange, Ralph Edwards ["This is Your Life"], Don Budge [tennis],  John Nash ["A Beautiful Mind"], Malcolm McDowell, Richard Thomas [John Boy], Tim Allen, Ally Sheedy, Hannah Storm, Chris Evans, the Olsen Twins, 
  • Died: Darla Hood [The Little Rascals], Benny Goodman, Geraldine Page, Fran Allison [Kukla, Fran and Ollie], Tim Russert, Jimmy Dean, Chuck Noll, Anne Donovan, Ned Beatty, 
Thought:
In chapter 2 of Second Corinthians, the church has apparently been involved in the discipline of a member. A member had done wrong and the majority have imposed punishment [2:5]. Now Paul urges the church to forgive and comfort the offender. Have you ever experienced this situation--someone has hurt you, offended you. They were punished, reprimanded, admonished, corrected. They repented. Now the question is, what do I do. Paul says, forgive and comfort. Can't I just walk away and have nothing to do with them? Okay, I'll forgive them, but surely I don't have to comfort them. Think about your parents. You did something wrong, violated the rules. They punished you and you probably said, "I'm sorry." [Maybe because you thought you could avoid punishment, maybe because you thought the punishment would be less, or maybe because you meant it]. After the punishment, your parents comforted you, told you they still loved you. 

Why does Paul tell the church to forgive and comfort?
  • For the sake of the offender. [2:7] Failure to forgive and comfort may leave the offender alone and vulnerable to Satan's schemes. 
  • For my sake. [2:9] Forgiving is obedience to the commands of Christ. He told us to forgive just like He did. So forgiving is an act of obedience with the promise of a blessing.
  • For the church's sake. [2:11] When we fail to forgive, the unity of the body is disturbed. 
  • For Christ's sake. If I want to be like Him, I forgive. If I want Him to be glorified in my life, I forgive.
Lord, help me today to truly forgive others as You have forgiven me. You didn't just forgive me, You comforted me, saved me, blessed me, redeemed me. Help me be like You.

Blessings
Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024