Thought for March 4

 History:

  • 1628: Royal Charter issued to Massachusetts Bay Colony
  • 1681: William Penn receives charter for Pennsylvania
  • 1789: First Congress meets and declares Constitution effective
  • 1801: Jeffereson is first President inaugurated in Washington
  • 1863: Battle of Thompson Station TN
  • 1877: World premier of "Swan Lake"
  • 1902: AAA founded
  • 1989: Pyramid at the Louvre open
  • 2012: Putin wins election amid claims of voter fraud
  • Born: Antonio Vivaldi, Karl Bayer, Charles Goren [bridge], Charles Walgreen, Paula Prentiss, Rick Perry, Draymond Green
  • Died: Alexander Campbell [[started the movement that became Disciples of Christ and Church of Christ], Daniel Whittle ["I Know Whom I Have Believed" "Moment by Moment", and "There Shall Be Showers of Blessing"], Hank Gathers, Christian Nelson [Eskimo Pie], John Candy, Minnie Pearl, Harold Stassen, Pat Conroy, Luke Perry
Thought:
Continuing to look at the Beatitudes this morning. I know you are like me and want God's blessings in your life. I am trying to be humble and recognize who I am and who He is daily, to mourn over my sin and the lost, seeking forgiveness, to hunger and thirst for righteousness, to be merciful and pure in heart. As I try to follow these characteristics and evidence them in my life, I find it is tough, difficult, impossible without the help of the Holy Spirit. So even my attempts to receive God's blessings reuire me to acknowledge that without Him, i am unable and unworthy. 
  • You may have noticed that I skipped over God blesses the gentle. I have a serious problem here. This word is used for "tamed" or "domesticated".  Some have said that we get gentile from this word, meaning to act like royalty and specifically the King. I find myself reading James and his description of the tongue--no one can tame the tongue [James 3:8]. And I have trouble taming mine and being tamed. In the Beatitudes, I think the thought is for me to be submissive to the Spirit and to Christ. Dying to my wants and desires so that His thoughts can control. Some translations use the word "meek" here, one who is quietly obedient. The blessing is an inheritance. so what I understand is that if I want to receive an inheritance, I need to be quietly obedient to the King, I need to be gentile like the King, I need to allow the King to tame and domesticate me so that I follow His instructions and commands. 
  • God blesses the peacemakers. Notice the blessing--called sons of God. Makes perfect sense. God's Son is the Prince of Peace--He came to break down the enmity between God and man, purchasing peace with His blood. He gives peace, a peace that passes understanding. Now if I want to be an adopted son or daughter, if I want to be a brother or sister in Christ, I must be a peacemaker too. I must evidence the peace of the Spirit [Galatians 5 22] and I must be a messeger/ambassador of peace by sharing the Gospel. So far as it depends on me, I try to be at peace with all people. 
  • God blesses those who are persecuted for His name or for acting for righteousness sake. No, this is not persecution for my doing wrong or evil, this is persecution for doing good in Jesus name. We say, "no good deed goes unpunished." Here Jesus reminds us that we will be persecuted and defamed for following Him--why? Because the prophets were persecuted for telling the truth and He was persecuted for being the Truth. So if we tell the truth about Him and have the Truth living in us, we expect the world to reject us and persecute us. But while the world persecutes, Jesus blesses--How? By making us citizens of His Kingdom--for we are aliens here. His kingdom is not of this world. We are part of His eternal kingdom, a kingdom that we pray will come on earth as it is in heaven. And when it does, O what a blessing. 
Today, Lord continue to tame me to obey and follow Your commands with joy; help me be an instrument of Your peace; and when persecution comes, give me strength to face it just as You did with faith and confidence in the Father and His kingdom. 
Blessings
Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024