Thought for March 17

 History:

  • 1521: Magellan reaches the Philippines
  • 1737: First celebration of St Patrick's Day in US- Boston
  • 1845: Rubber band patented
  • 1905: Einstein completes paper detailing Quantum Theory of Light
  • 1912: Camp Fire Girls organized
  • 1944: Mt Vesuvius erupts destroying several towns
  • 1969: Golda Meir becomes Israel's Prime Minister
  • 1995: US approves first chickenpox vaccine
  • 2020: EU bans most travelers
  • Born: Jim Bridger [mountain man], Gottlieb Daimler [1st motorcycle], Bobby Jones, Sammy Baugh, Nat King Cole, Rudolf Nureyev, John Wayne Gacy [serial killer], Kurt Russell, Gary Sinise, Rob Lowe, Stormy Daniels, Katie Ledecky
  • Died: Marcus Aurelius, Saint Patrick, Christian Doppler, Irene Curie [Nobel winner and daughter of two Nobel winners], Amos Alonzo Stagg, Helen Hayes, Oleg Cassini, Ray Meyer [great coach]
Thought:
When someone does something wrong, what do I do?
  • Tell everyone I know about the failure. Now I am not gossiping, I am simply sharing. 
  • I make a note of it so that I can use it later--to make myself look better, to get the wrongdoer to comply with my requests [I'll keep your secret if].
  • I brag to God  that at least I don't do  what he does. 
What if the person did the wrong to me? What do I do?
  • Tell every one how bad he is. 
  • Look for a way to get revenge or get even.
  • Ask God to punish him. Now when we were kids, this meant telling Mom and Dad or threatening to tell them to get my way. 
Look at Matthew 18:15--If  your brother sins against you reprove him in private. That takes all the "fun" out of it. Why go to him in private--my goal is not slander, jealousy, pride, revenge, punishment---my goal is restoration. This hits home. When I talk about someone's failures, or seek revenge for something they have done to me, or wish them ill, or hope they get punished--my motives are revealed. I am more interested in me that in the brother who has done wrong. I am more interested in my ego and my standing than in his future wellbeing. How I respond to someone who does me wrong reveals more about me and my heart than about him. 

Lord, help me obey Your command for reconciliation and not yield to my human pride and ego. 

Blessings
Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024