Thought for March 13

 History:

  • 1639: Cambridge College renamed Harvard for clergyman John Harvard
  • 1781: William Herschel discovers Uranus--thought it was a comet
  • 1868: Impeachment trial of Andrew Johnson begins
  • 1884: US adopts standard time
  • 1900: France limits working day for women and children to 11 hours
  • 1925: Tennessee legislature passes the Butler Bill prohibiting teaching evolution. Scopes Trial will begin in July 1926.
  • 1930: Discovery of Pluto announced
  • 1935: Driving tests for licensure introduced in Great Britain
  • 1943: Nazis liquidate Jewish ghetto in Krakow--Schindler saves his workers
  • 1954: Braves Bobby Thomson breaks his ankle and is replaced by Hank Aaron
  • 1986: Microsoft has 1st public stock offering
  • 2004: Pavarotti performs his last opera--Tosca
  • 2012: Encyclopedia Britainnica ceases publishing a printed edition
  • 2019: Boeing 737 MAX grouded after 2 crashes
  • 2020: Breonna Taylor killed by police executing a no-knock warrant
  • Born: L Ron Hubbard [Scientology], Walter Annenberg ["Reader's Digest"], Jan Howard, Joe Bellino [Heisman from Navy], Neil Sadaka, William H Macy, Charles Krauthammer, Trent Dilfer, 
  • Died: Henry Shrapnel [created the shrapnel shell], Benjamin Harrison, Susan B Anthony, Clarence Darrow, Catherine "Kitty" Genovese [stabbed to death before 40 witnesses, none of whom came to her aide], Robert C Baker [invented the chicken nugget]
Thought:
Do interruptions bother you? You are in the middle of a television program, maybe even an "important" game--then the phone rings or you hear a knock at the door, or maybe your spouse or a child starts talking to you. Maybe I'm at my desk working on something for Sunday School and the beep on my phone sounds. How do we react to interruptions? I'm busy, I am working on something important, I really need to finish. Or maybe I am trying to check out at the store and another customer comes up with a question. The salesperson or cashier stops checking me out to answer the question. Again, I'm in a hurry, I have places to go and things to do. Don’t interrupt my day! Today I'm reading Matthew 9:18-26.

Jesus is in Capernaum and has healed the paralytic lowered through the ceiling by his friends. Jesus is speaking to the disciples of John about fasting when a synagogue official comes to Jesus with an important request--my daughter has just died, but if You come and lay your hand on her, she will live. This sounds like an emergency--a matter of death and life. A picture of our relationship with Jesus--were were dead in our sins, He touched us, and we live. Jesus immediately responds and heads toward the home of the official. But there is an interruption.

A woman is in the road. She has suffered for 12 years. She has spent all her money but has not been healed. Jarius the official wanted Jesus to touch his daughter. The woman wanted to touch Jesus. Both believed that His touch would change everything. Jesus stops and has a conversation with the woman and she is healed. But if I am Jarius there has been an interruption--Jesus has stopped walking to my house where my 12 year old daughter is either dead or dying. He has paused to speak to this unclean woman. But I notice two things--Jesus used the interruption for God's glory. To Jesus, someone trying to touch Him in faith was not an interruption. And Jarius did not complain--if I trust Jesus to heal my daughter from death or dying, I trust His timing as well. 

What do I see-
  • Interruptions provide opportunities--for compassion, for help, for the exercise of patience, for the exercise of faith in the Lord's resources and timing. 
  • Interruptions may be important. The result here was faith exercised and faith rewarded. 
  • Jesus does not let interruptions keep Him from answering our prayers. So I should not let interruptions keep me from responding with patience, gentleness and with anticipation. Jesus may be using the interruption to do something important. When that child interrupts, my attention may be something they desperately need. When Jan interrupts, my response may be an affirmation of the love I have or her. When others interrupt, it may be an opportunity to share some of the fruit of the spirit--patience, gentleness, kindness, love. 
Lord help me deal with the interruptions of life just like You did.

Blessings
Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024