Thought for September 9

 History:

  • 1543: Mary Stuart [age 9 months] crowned Queen of Scots
  • 1776: Congress renames country the United States of America [United Colonies]
  • 1850: California admitted as 31st State
  • 1863: Battle of Cumberland Gap TN
  • 1908: First 1 hour airplane flight [Orville Wright]
  • 1956: Elvis first appearance on Ed Sullivan Show
  • 1987: Gary Hart admits to cheating on his wife
  • 2001: Band of Brothers premiers
  • 2021: Tom Brady is first NFL player to start 300 regular season games
  • Born: William Bligh [HMS Bounty], Leo Tolstoy, Frank Chance [Tinker to Evers to Chance], Colonel Sanders, Jimmy "the Greek" Snyder, Cliff Robertson, Otis Redding, Joe Theismann, Hugh Grant, Bob Stoops, Adam Sandler, Michael Buble, Michelle Williams, 
  • Died: William the Conqueror, Mao Zedong, Jack Warner, Bill Monroe, Burgess Meredith, Edward Teller [hydrogen bomb], 
Thought:
Today, I am looking at a verse that has troubled me in my life. Numbers 13:2. We read this story of Moses sending out spies into the Promised Land often. We think about Caleb and Joshua. We point out the failures of the 10 spies. We talk about the consequences of failing to follow God's commands--years of wandering in the wilderness, same food every day. same clothes. and ultimately never reaching the goal. But 13:2 always troubles me when I read it. "Send out for yourself men so that they may spy out the land of Canaan, which I am going to give to the sons of Israel." Of course, the men go and spy and return with the report--a land flowing with milk and honey, the fruit is unbelievable. What if the report had ended there. God is giving us a land flowing with milk and honey, a fruitful and wonderful land. But that wasn't the end of the report--the people are strong, the cities are fortified, Anak's descendants live there. And so the people are afraid. They are too strong for US. We are like grasshoppers in our own sight. 

I am often just like those spies. God has made me many promises. I know those promises, in fact I keep a little book at my desk titled "God's Promises for Your Every Need." Why can't I take those promises, trust the One who made the promise, and go forward in life? If God made the promise, what do I know:
  • The promise is for my good and His glory.
  • He knows the future so His promises always come true.
  • He has the power to keep every promise He makes.
  • His character makes it impossible for Him to lie. 
  • He loves me and His promises are an expression of that love. 
But like the spies, I move by sight and not by faith. So I pay attention to what my eyes and ears and flesh tell me.
  • I know the promise, but it just seems like it is impossible. I doubt God's power.
  • I know the promise, but what if something happens. I doubt His character and wisdom.
  • I know the promise, but look at all the barriers and people who oppose me. I doubt God's ability to keep the promise. 
  • I know the promise, but I focus on my strength and ability--I am too weak, I can't see myself doing that, what if I fail. I forget that the promise does not require my strength or wisdom or courage, it only requires my faith and obedience. 
What has God promised for today:
  • He who has begun a good work in me shall complete it until the day of Jesus Christ.
  • God keeps me in perfect peace if my mind is focused on Him.
  • My God shall supply all my needs according to His riches in glory. 
  • I don't fear because He is with me. He is my God and He will strengthen me. 
  • Nothing can separate me from His love--not tribulation, distress, persecution, famine, nakedness, peril or sword, death, life, angels, principalities, powers, the present, the past or the future. 
  • The rivers shall not overflow me, the fire shall not burn me for He is with me. 
  • I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. 
So today, Lord help me live on promises that are certain, not on what the world presents to me. 

Blessings
Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024