Thought for July 9

 History:

  • 1877: First Wimbledon Tournament begins
  • 1918: 101 killed and 17 injured in train wreck at Nashville
  • 1955: Rock Around the Clock hits #1
  • 1956: Dick Clark's first appearance as host of American Bandstand
  • 1982: Pan Am 727 crashes in Kenner LA killing 153
  • 1996: Minimum wage raised to $4.25
  • 2018: Brett Kavanaugh nominated to Supreme Court
  • 2018: Stabucks announces it will stop using plastic straws
  • Born: Elias Howe [sewing machine], Ed Ames, Vince Edwards [Ben Casey], Donald Rumsfeld, Dean Koontz, OJ Simpson, John Tesh, Tom Hanks, Courtney Love, Kelly Holcombe, 
  • Died: Edmund Burke, Zachary Taylor, King Gillette, Earl Warren, Eric Sevareid, Rod Steiger, Eileen Ford [modeling agency], Ross Perot, Robert Grant [O Worship the King]
Thought:
At the end of John 4, we have the story of Jesus healing the nobleman's son. As I mentioned a few days ago, many scholars talk about 7 signs that Jesus performed to validate His claim to be the Messiah. The first was the water to wine miracle in John 2. Now we have the second of those signs, a healing. Jesus has returned to Cana where He performed His first sign. Over in Capernaum [about 16 miles from Cana], a nobleman's son is sick, near death. Some translations call him a royal official. The first thing I notice is that this royal official [perhaps someone in service to Herod] did not send for Jesus, he came to Jesus. This shows respect and honor. Also reminds me that Jesus' invitation is always to come--- follow Me, all who are heavy ladened, like little chickens under the mother's wing.

The request is simple--come heal my son. I notice that the official thought Jesus could heal his son, but thought Jesus needed to be present physically to accomplish the miracle. Now notice what Jesus says--you people need signs and wonders to believe. Makes me wonder, what does it take for me to believe? How many times does Jesus have to bless me, heal me, protect me for me to believe? He has blessed me so many times and in so many ways. He has never failed and always kept His promises even when I strayed. Why do I doubt and why do I lose faith? Lord, you are always faithful, help my unbelief and increase my faith.

The official persists--come before my son dies. And Jesus responds to his faith--go home, your son lives. Now notice--when Jesus spoke, the official believed and started home. He believed in his heart and then put that belief into action. He cold have stayed and continued to plead for Jesus to come in person, but instead, he acted as if what Jesus said was true. Reminds me that I often talk a good game about Jesus and what He has done and will do, but then I fail to act as if I believe. True faith requires action consistent with that belief. Jesus said, why do you call me Lord and yet not do what I say. Does my faith become action? 

And as the official walked toward Capernaum his servants greeted him with the good news--your son lives. Isn't God gracious! The man didn't have to wait until he got home to have confirmation of Jesus power and love. Imagine how it would have been to be walking as fast as you could those 16 miles to see if what Jesus spoke was true. Reminds me of my life. Jesus speaks and I say I believe, then I worry and doubt until I actually see with my eyes. Remind me of that line in "It Is Well with My Soul"--Lord haste the day when faith shall be sight. Maybe that's my prayer for today---Lord, help me have faith that is sight--when You speak,  I know for sure without seeing. 

Blessings
Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024