Thought for October 4, 2024

  •  1883: The Orient Express departs for first official journey--Paris to Istanbul
  • 1895: First US Open Men's Golf tournament
  • 1927: Borglum begins sculpting Mount Rushmore
  • 1957: Soviets launch Sputnik 1
  • 2006: WikiLeaks launched by Julian Assange
  • 2023: Kevin McCarthy voted out as Speaker of the House
  • Born: Rutherford B Hayes, Damon Runyon, Jackie Collins, Anne Rice, Buster Keaton, Charlton Heston, Susan Sarandon, Dakota Johnson, Tony La Russa
  • Died: Rembrandt, Frederic Bartholdi, Janis Joplin, Secretariat, Loretta Lynn
Thought:
Reading the minor prophets can be depressing. They are speaking because the people have turned their backs on the Lord, rebelled, turn to religious ceremony rather than humble worship. So today I am reading from the Psalms, specifically Psalms 95-98. Notice how each of these psalms begin:
  • Let us sing for joy to the Lord [95]
  • Sing to the Lord a new song. [96]
  • The Lord reigns, let the earth rejoice. [97]
  • Sing to the Lord a new song. [98]
So this morning I am looking at all the reasons for me, you, the earth to sing for joy to the Lord:
  • He is the rock of our salvation. [95:1] So I sing "On Christ the solid rock I stand all other ground is sinking sand."
  • He is a great God and a great King above all gods. [95:3] So I sing, "then sings my soul, my Savior God to Thee, how great Thou art, how great Thou art."
  • He is our God. [95:6-7] So I sing "here I am to worship, here I am to bow down, her I am to say that You’re my God, You are all together worthy, altogether lovely, altogether wonderful to me."
  • Splendor and majesty are before Him [96:6] So I sing, "Majesty, Kingdom authority, flow from His throne unto His own, His anthem raise. So exalt, lift up on high, the Name of Jesus! Magnify, come glorify, Christ Jesus the King."
  • Let the sea roar. [96:11], And I sing, "shout to the Lord all the earth let us sing, power and majesty praise to the King, Mountains bow down and the seas will roar at the sound of Your Name"
  • Clouds and thick darkness surround Him [97:2] So we sing, "O tell of His might, O sing of His grace, whose robe is the light and canopy space. His chariots of wrath the deep thunderclouds form, and dark is His path on the wings of the storm."
  • He has done wonderful things [98:1]: And we all sing, "Wonderful the matchless grace of Jesus, deeper than the mighty rolling sea; Wonderful grace all sufficient for me, for even me. Broader than the scope of my transgressions, greater far than all my sin and shame, O magnify the precious name of Jesus, praise His name." 
That's a good start for a Friday morning.
Blessings
Larry


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024