Thought for September 9, 2024

  •  1776: Congress officially names our nation the United States of America--formerly the United Colonies
  • 1850: Territories of New Mexico and Utah created
  • 1904: NY baseball team first called the Yankees--became official in 1913
  • 1942: First bombing on US mainland--Nobuo Fujita bombs Oregon forest after taking off from a submarine
  • 1956: Elvis makes first appearance on Ed Sullivan Show
  • Born: William Bligh [HMS Bounty], Leo Tolstoy, Colonel Sanders, Otis Redding, Hugh Grant, Bob Stoops, Adam Sandler, Cliff Robertson, Michael Buble, Michelle Williams, 
  • Died: William the Conqueror, Mao Zedong, Edwin McMillan [discovered plutonium], Burgess Meredith, Edward Teller
Thought:
I have turned back to the Minor Prophets this morning, looking to see what the Lord might show me about my life and the world around me. Reading in Hosea 4 today.  The first 10 verses are convicting and troubling. The Lord says, " I have a case against the inhabitants of the land." Surely, this is not just addressed to Israel 2700 years ago, it looks like it was written this morning. As a recovering lawyer, when I read that someone has a case against me, that is trouble. Someone claims that I have wronged them, stolen from them, defamed them. 

When God has a case against us, I guess the first question is "what are the charges." Verses 1 and 2 answer the question. Look at the charges against us:
  • No faithfulness
  • No kindness
  • Swearing
  • Deception
  • Murder
  • Stealing
  • Adultery
  • Violence--leading to more violence
Now consider our land. Do these same words describe us? We are in the middle of a terrible political season. Do any of these charges seem to be present in the campaign speeches, advertisements, "debates." Amazing that people have to "fact check" claims and statements made by presidential candidates. But the  Lord may also be speaking to me--does my life reflect love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, self-control. I do not see those fruits consistently in my life or the lives of the candidates. 

Now read verse 3--the cause is described in verses 1 and 2. The result or effect is described in verse 3. The land mourns, the people languish, nature suffers. The word "languish" means to lose vitality, weaken, wither. Does that describe my life or the life of our nation? In August we had a long hot spell without rain. We have two large pots with plants on our porch. Without water they withered from the heat. But when we would water them, they would recover and flourish. When I do not drink from the Living Water, I wither. When a nation turns away from the Living Water, it languishes. Lord, make me like the deer who pants for water as I seek You. 

 Blessings
Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024