Thought for September 6, 2024

  • 1628: Puritans land at Salem 
  • 1901: President McKinley shot and killed
  • 1913: First airplane to do the loop-the-loop
  • 1914: First Battle of the Marne
  • 1916: First true supermarket established by Clarence Saunders in Memphis--Piggly Wiggly--did not open until the 11th
  • 1941: All Jews over age 6 ordered to wear star in German territories
  • 1949: First mass killing in US--Howard Unruh kills 13 neighbors in 12 minutes in Camden NJ
  • 1975: Martina Navratilova seeks asylum in U.S.
  • 1991: Leningrad reverts to Saint Petersburg
  • Born: Marquis de Lafayette, Joseph Kennedy, Billy Rose, Chris Christie, Jane Curtin, Idris Elba, 
  • Died: Margaret Sanger, Tom Fogerty, Luciano Pavarotti, Lou Brock
Thought:
The story of the cross told by Mark in chapter 15 is very familiar. Every Easter, we revisit the story, go to the stations of the cross, recall the seven last words, all in preparation for the celebration on Easter morning. I have heard and taught many studies on the crucifixion. We get into the bloody details, the terrible physical beating, the minute details of the spikes and hammers, the crown of thorns, the pierced side. We talk about the soldiers and the thieves. We focus on the crowds and perhaps on Mary and John. But when I read the story in all of the gospels, I am amazed that scripture just says very simply, "they crucified Him." Whether in Mark 14:24, Matthew 27:35, Luke 23:33, or John 19:18, all it says is they crucified Him.  I wonder why do we get so involved in details--the nails were not in His palms, but rather His wrist. He died by suffocation. He could try and boost Himself up on the spike in his ankle to get a breath of air. I think it is because we can try and imagine the physical pain, but we cannot relate to the spiritual pain.

The cross was heavy, but my sins weighed more. The whips ripped the skin, but blood covered me. This just reminds me that I often forget the penalty of sin. I try have have little sins, little misses. I take pride in not having big sins. I compare myself to others, rather than to Him. And think about the whippings I received as a child and teenager. I recall my mother giving me a whipping every day and saying that she was sure I had done something deserving punishment even if she didn't know exactly what it was. And then I think about all the punishment that man or woman ever received and understand that they do not compare to what He suffered. I don't think we can even comprehend the pain and suffering our sin caused and that He bore in our place. 

Lord, remind me again, that the pain at calvary was not the beating and the crucifixion, it was my sin. Praise God for the Lamb that takes away the sin of the world.

Blessings
Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024