Thought for September 24, 2024

  •  1742: Faneuil Hall opens to public in Boston
  • 1789: Office of US Attorney General created
  • 1929: Jimmy Doolittle flies first instruments only flight
  • 1952: KFC opens its first franchise in Salt Lake City
  • 1957: Elvis releases "Jail House Rock"
  • 1968: "60Minutes" premiers
  • 2023: Taylor Swift attends Chiefs game amid rumors of relationship with Travis Kelce
  • Born: F Scott Fitzgerald, Ayatollah Khomeini, Jim Henson, Phil Hartman, Linda McCartney, Tommy Armour, 
  • Died: Dr. Seuss, John Sevier [TN governor], 
Thought:
Looking at three verses in Habakkuk 2 this morning. Two of these verse are often quoted. Look at them with me:
  • 1:18. A maker trusts in his own handiwork. I needed to think about this today. What am I trusting in? The verse says what profit, what value does an idol have when I am the one who made it. I created the idol and now I have to ask, what good is that idol? Will it solve my real problems? Will it answer my hard questions? No! I made it an idol so it has all the faults and limitations I have. I have written before about the old Groucho Marx Show "You Bet Your Life." What am I betting my life on? The Word and Truth of God, or something I have created or some other human has created? 
  • 1:20: The Lord is in His holy temple, let all the earth be silent before Him. We learned that verse in BTU. We also read, "Be still and know that I am God." In those days, there was a temple in Jerusalem. There was the Holy Place and the Holy of Holies. Priests stood in silence to hear from the Lord. Today, the temple is the believer where the Living Christ dwells. Maybe this Old Testament verse is reminding me to stop telling God stuff and listen. there is nothing I can tell Him that He does not know. But the things He can tell me that I need to know are infinite in number. 
  • 1:14: When I am quiet, I hear from the Lord. And a day will come when the earth shall be filled with the knowledge of the glory of the Lord. Interesting that my translation does not say that the earth will be filled with the knowledge of the Lord, for everyone may not know Him when He comes. But everyone will know His glory, majesty, authority and power. And what a great day that will be for those who are in Christ. 
Recall that Habakkuk is living at a time when there is a real external threat to Judah. And that threat will ultimately destroy Jerusalem and take many captives. But in the middle of the message from God we have these words of encouragement and hope. God is in His temple and His glory will be revealed. That means to me that no matter what the day seems to hold, I can rejoice and be glad.

Jan and I will be in Jackson Hole for a week or so. Expect the posts to be a little later each day as we are on Mountain Time. 

Blessings
Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024