Thought for August 9, 2024

  • 1173: Construction of the Tower of Pisa begins
  • 1483: Sistine Chapel opens
  • 1854: Thoreau publishes "Walden"
  •  1898: Rudolf Diesel receives patent for internal combustion engine
  • 1945: "Fat Man" dropped on Nagasaki
  • 1969: Manson gang kills Sharon Tate and others
  • 1974: Nixon resigns
  • 2023: Lahaina destroyed by fire killing 97
  • Born: John Dryden, Whitney Houston, Melanie Griffith, Ken Norton, Bob Cousy, Rod Laver, Deion Sanders, PL Travers [created Mary Poppins], Harry Mills [Mills Brothers], Robert Shaw ["Jaws"], Chris Haney [created "Trivial Pursuit"], Michael Kors, Hoda Kolb, Anna Kendrick, Vivek Ramaswamy, 
  • Died: Sharon Tate, Dmitri Shostakovich, Jerry Garcia, Bernie Mac, 
Thought:
Yesterday I was struck by the placement of the story of the man whose sight was gradually restored right after Jesus asking the disciples if they did not yet see, hear and understand. Amazing that the next thing Mark records is in 8:27-30. It is almost as if Jesus is saying to the disciples, if view of what I have said and done, who do the people say I am---have they understood that I am the Great I AM. Peter responds--John the Baptist, Elijah, one of the prophets. So the people do not yet understand who Jesus is. I wonder how Jesus responded to this answer. Was He discouraged? Was He hurt? Was He frustrated? Did He ask Himself what else can I do? 

But Jesus turns to Peter [the future denier] and asks, "But who do you say that I am?" And Peter responds, "You are the Christ." You are the Messiah. You are the Promised One. You are the Savior, Redeemer, the Lamb of God, the Lion of Judah. You are God. 

Now, isn't this the question that determines the destiny of every man and woman--who is Jesus? Teacher, Rabbi, preacher, miracle worker, healer, fanatic, lunatic, faker. Eternity depends on the answer to the question. We often think about this proclamation when discussing evangelism---how can we get people to know Jesus as Christ? But I am convinced that this is the question Jesus asks me every day---today, Larry, who will your life say I am? Will your words and actions say, Jesus is the Christ. Will your use of time and resources say, Jesus is the Christ. Could somebody know who I am by looking at your life? Today, Jesus asks, "who do you say I am?"

Blessings
Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024