Thought for August 27, 2024

  •  1883: Krakatoa explodes killing 40,000. The explosion was heard in Perth, 2800 miles away--10 times the force of the Hiroshima bomb. Caused year without summer and global temperatures dropped for the next 5 years.
  • 1894: Congress passes graduated income tax--struck down by the Supreme Court as unconstitutional
  • 1955: First Guinness Book of World Records. Developed by the Brewery after an argument about the fastest game bird in Europe--a collection of things people might argue about in the bar. 
  • 1964: "Mary Poppins" released
  • Born: Charles Rolls, C.S. Forester, Lyndon Johnson, Bernhard Langer, Tuesday Weld, Barbara Bach, Breanna Stewart
  • Died: Titian, W.E.B. Dubois, Robert Shaw, Haile Selassie, Stevie Ray Vaughan
Thought:
Reading Mark 14:12-16 today. Just thinking about a few words--"they found it just as He had told them." [14:16] What comes to your mind when you read those words? A few days earlier, they had found the colt just as He had told them. Now they find a room just as He had told them. The room was furnished and ready, just as He had told them. 

Reading these simple words, I think about what He has told us--I go away to prepare a place for you and I will return to receive you so that where I am, there you may be also. And one of these days, that will happen, just as He has told us. I wish I could read and believe the scripture all the time with this truth in mind--it will happen just as He has told us. If I could just get that into my heart and mind, think about how I would live my life---no fear, no doubt, no anxiety. Why? Because it will be exactly as He had told us. No, that is not right--it will be better than we can conceive or think about because man cannot grasp what the Lord has planned for those who love Him and follow Him. 

Do you wonder if a few days later when Christ was crucified the apostles remembered that it was going to happen just as He had told them? What about Sunday morning, when the report came that the tomb was empty, did the apostles say-it happened just like He said it would. Forty days later when He ascended and said all authority has been given to me and in My name go and make disciples, did they think, yes, we can do that because it will be exactly like He said it would be. When I read Thessalonians or Revelation about His return, do I say, it will happen exactly like He said. When I read about the New Jerusalem and the new heavens and new earth, do I really believe it will be exactly as He said. 

I am discovering that my life is so much richer, so much calmer, so much better when I simply believe--it will happen exactly like He said. 

Blessings
Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024