Thought for July 8, 2024

  •  1099: 15,000 starving Crusaders march around Jerusalem. The city falls a few days later.
  • 1680: First confirmed tornado in America--Cambridge MA
  • 1731: Jonathan Edwards preaches his first sermon--"God Glorified in Man's Dependence" Think about that this morning.
  • 1741: Johnathan Edwards preaches "Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God" 
  • 1776: First public reading of the Declaration of Independence
  • 1777: Vermont adopts constitution forbidding slavery
  • 1797: First US Senator expelled by impeachment--William Blount  of TN
  • 1800: First cowpox vaccination in the US to prevent smallpox
  • 1889: Wall Street Journal begins publishing
  • 1913: Patent for erector set issued
  • 1941: Jews in Baltic States required to wear Jewish Star
  • 1949: South Africa prohibits mixed race marriages
  • 1969: Troops begin withdrawal from Vietnam
  • 1999: Third Harry Potter book released
  • Born: John Pemberton, Ferdinand Zeppelin, John D Rockefeller, Roone Arledge, Anjelica Houston, Toby Keith
  • Died: Vivien Leigh, Betty Ford, Ernest Borgnine
Thought:
My Sunday School class is completing a study of Peter's letters. I have been thinking about where to turn next in the scripture and had been considering the Minor Prophets. But recently, I have been drawn back to the Book of Mark. A few years ago, I led a study through the chronological life of Christ, but I am being led to go back to Mark. Why? Peter's letters urge actions consistent with stated belief. And Mark is all action and his gospel is likely the account he received from Peter. As I prepare, I am reading this gospel anew.

Today, I am reading the first verse of chapter 1--"The beginning of the gospel of Jesus Christ, the Son of God". Ponder that sentence with me. I have read that the word "gospel" or "good news" long preceded its usage to describe the message of Jesus. As I understand, the term referred to the message brought by a runner from the battlefield to report victory. So when we read the gospel of Jesus, we are reading His declaration that the battle has been won, that He is victorious. When I share the gospel with someone else, I am proclaiming the victory of Jesus over sin, temptation, rejection, death and the grave. It helps me to think of evangelism this way--I am a proclaimer of the victory of Jesus, the Christ, the Son of God.

Now, Mark call this the beginning of the gospel and his first report is from Isaiah. More on that tomorrow. Today, I am thinking about when the gospel began--when was the beginning of the gospel of Jesus. Did it start with Isaiah's prophesy of the suffering servant? Did it start at the creation of the earth--for by Him and through Him and for Him are all things. He created everything and nothing exists that was not created by Him. Or did the gospel begin before that. Did the gospel begin in the loving heart of God the Father when He planned for you and me? Did the all-knowing Father plan the victory of Jesus long before He said let there be light? 

This morning, I am praising God that in His great love, grace and mercy, He had a plan for victory from the beginning. That thought gives me hope, trust, assurance---God had a victory plan and nothing can change its outcome. And how gracious is He that He shares the good news with us--Jesus wins, Jesus has won, we will see His victory completed and He will reign forever and ever. And we are invited into His conquering army, to dwell in His kingdom, to share His riches. Then the Lord reminded me that He gives us every new day as a day to begin the celebration of victory, to share the truth of the victory, to live as more than conquerors through Christ who won the victory. So, sing a little "Victory in Jesus" this morning.

Blessings
Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024