Thought for July 3, 2024

  • 1864: Battle of Chattahoochie River 
  • 1930: Veterans Administration created
  • 1962: Jackie Robinson inducted into the Baseball HOF
  • 1985: "Back to the Future" released
  • 1989: Supreme Court rules that states do not have to fund abortions
  • 1996: Parliament announces that the Stone of Scone [Stone of Destiny] will be returned to Scotland after 700 years in Westminster Abbey
  • Born: Samuel de Champlain, Franz Kafka, Julian Assange, George M Cohan, Tom Cruise, Dave Barry, 
  • Died: Jim Morrison, Lew Hoad, Joel Chandler Harris [Uncle Remus stories],  Rudy Vallee, Don Drysdale, Boots Randolph, Andy Griffith, 
Thought:
Some of us have trouble sleeping. A few days ago I was reading Psalm 127:2--"He gives to His beloved even in his sleep." Have you ever considered what keeps you from falling asleep, what wakes you in the middle of the night? A few years ago, one of my class gave me the book, "Valley of Vision"  which is a collection of Puritan prayers. The language is a little difficult at times, but there is power in these prayers. One of those prayers is about sleep. A portion of it reads as follows:

Thou hast promised thy beloved sleep; give me restoring rest needful for tomorrow's toil; if dreams are mine, let them not be tinged with evil. Let thy Spirit make my time of repose a blessed temple of his holy presence. . . . . I retire this night in full assurance of one day awakening with thee.

This ancient prayer really speaks to me this morning. I ask the Lord for sleep so that I will be rested and ready for a day of service tomorrow. This reminds me that my calling is into His service. So, I ask for rest to be ready and able to serve. Makes me wonder if I ask for things with the right motives. James 4:3 tells me that I ask and don't receive because I ask with the wrong motives so that I may spend it on pleasures. Makes me wonder if I ask for a good night’s rest so that I can serve Him effectively or so that I can seek my pleasures. 

Do I ask the Lord for good dreams? Do I ask that He speak to me even during my sleep? I am asking myself, what if every night my last thought was Lord speak to me in my sleep. Scientist say that we can play music or play someone speaking to us as we sleep and that subliminal thoughts will be transferred. What if I went to sleep reciting His word and asking that He read me His word during my sleep. 

What if I considered my sleep a time for Him to commune with me. Many in the Bible received visits from the Lord in dreams. Perhaps I should extend an invitation every night for Him to step into my sleep and dwell with me. 

The Puritan prayer talks about treating going to sleep as a kind of death, picturing closing my eyes here and opening them in His presence. That might remove my anxiety about the next day, thinking about opening my eyes into His forever and the glory and peace awaiting me there. 

Not sure why this Puritan prayer was on my mind this morning, but it may help me sleep better tonight. 


Blessings

Larry 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024