Thought for July 25, 2024

  • 306: Constantine proclaimed Roman emperor
  • 1814: George Stephenson introduces the first steam locomotive
  • 1897: Jack London sails to Alaska to join the Klondike Gold Rush
  • 1946: Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis have first show as a comedy team
  •  1956: Stockholm Sweden and Andria Doria collide in the Atlantic
  • 1978: First test tube baby born
  • Born: Arthur Balfour, Emmett Till,  Matt LeBlanc,  Walter Payton, Iman, Bryce Young
  • Died: Samuel Taylor Coleridge, Ben Hogan, Olivia de Havilland, 
Thought:
Reading the end of Mark chapter 4 [35-41] and the beginning of Mark chapter 5 [1-20]. Mark relates two familiar stories from the ministry of Jesus. The first is the calming of the sea and the second the healing of the demoniac. What strikes me this morning is how the two stories are related. One calms the sea, the other calms the soul of man. One demonstrates power over creation, the other power over the spirits. Experts say that Mark's Gospel is based on Peter's accounts recorded by Mark. If this is correct, how interesting that Peter places these two stories together. Remembering that there are no verses or chapters in the original, these stories are truly back-to-back. This morning it seems to me that the second story was written to answer the disciples question in 4:41--when Jesus calmed the sea, the men asked "Who then is this, that even the wind and sea obey Him?"

Maybe Jesus intended the casting out of demons in chapter 5 to answer the question. Or perhaps Peter saw the casting out of demons as an answer to his question in 4:41. Thinking about that this morning, what do I see:
  • The man lived in the tombs--he was living among the dead. We have a fascination with zombies these days. But we who are alive in Christ walk among the living dead every day. And we carry the cure. 
  • The demons had given the man physical strength--chains could not hold him and no man could subdue him.
  • The man was hurting himself and crying out for help. Makes me think of those with addictions, those with eating disorders, those with habits that injure health both physical and mental. Notice the demons gave power, but the cost was hurting himself. Reminds me that the devil promises freedom but enslaves. Christ calls us as slaves, but gives freedom.
  • The demons recognized Jesus [5:7], calling Him by name, Jesus, and Son of the Most High God.
Thinking about myself and comparing me to this man. Reminds me of my youth and my adulthood. I have told most of you about my problem with temper and anger as a child and teen--violent outbursts, physical outbursts. Then I was saved and began to allow Jesus to control that temper, remove that anger. I still have a temper, but most of the time allow Jesus to control it. But also thinking about habits and addictions that we suffer from and with. Our lusts and desires control us just like the demons controlled tis man. And only Jesus has the power and grace to drive out these habits that weaken and injure us. Only Jesus has the strength to defeat the demons. 

Lord, re-examine me today. Take full control of my thoughts and actions. Drive out any demons that are trying to cause me harm. Help me follow Your word by thinking on those things You have told me to think about--whatever is pure, lovely, of good report. Help me die to any old habits and allow You to live in me. 

Blessings
Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024