Thought for July 23, 2024

  • 1829: First "typographer" patented--typewriter
  • 1925: Lou Gehrig hits his first of 23 Grand Slams
  • 1983: An Air Canada Boeing 767 runs out of fuel at 41,000 feet. Pilots glide it to a safe landing on abandon military airport at Gimli Manitoba--Gimli glider
  • 1984: Vanessa Williams surrenders Miss America crown after explicit photos surface
  • 1995: Comet Hale-Bopp discovered 
  • 1996: Keri Strug completes her vault with torn ligaments in her ankle to secure gymnastics team Gold for the U.S.
  • 2000: Tiger Woods becomes youngest to win Grand Slam
  • 2020: U.S. Covid cases pass 4 million with 143,000 deaths
  • Born: Anthony Kennedy, Monica Lewinsky, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Woody Harrelson, Daniel Radcliffe, Alison Krauss, Don Drysdale, 
  • Died: Sally Ride, U.S. Grant, Amy Winehouse, Isaac Singer [1st practical home sewing machine], Montgomery Clift, Eddie Rickenbacker, 
Thought:
Reading Mark's account of the calling of disciples in chapter 3 today. I notice, He summoned those He Himself wanted that they might be with Him and that He might send them out to preach. [3:13-14] Reading this makes me think about myself and my brothers and sisters in Christ. He has summoned those that He wanted. Think about that for a moment. Jesus called you out of darkness and into His light because He wanted you. The God of creation called you and me because He wanted us to be with Him. Thinking back, have you ever waited for the call from someone you hope would call you--a boy or girl, a new employer, a person you wanted to know. What if Billy Graham had called you and said, hey, Larry, I want you to come over and spend some time with me. Or perhaps your favorite athlete or entertainer extended an invitation and summoned you to their presence. How excited you would be.Now think about the fact that the Creator has summoned you because He wants to be with you and you with him. And He wants that relationship to last throughout eternity. What a blessing!

I also am looking at the group Jesus called. WOW! If I was starting a kingdom, would these be the men I would choose--no education for most of them, no power, no popularity, no following. If we were choosing teams in school, probably would not pick some of these guys. If I was building a company, these would not be the first people that came to mind. But it was not about the men He chose, it was about the One that did the choosing. Same with us. Jesus calls us as we are and then He supplies all that we need--strength, words, power, authority, hope, endurance, peace, joy. None of it is from me, it is all from Him. The way He chose the disciples both encourages and disturbs me. Encourages me because He can use even me. Disturbs me because His choosing eliminates all my excuses. If He provides everything and I bring nothing but my "yes", I have no excuse when He gives me an assignment. Lord, forgive me of making excuses for not responding to Your call---since You are my sufficiency, I have no excuses. 

Blessings
Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024