Thought for July 20 2024

  • 1864: Battle of Peachtree Creek--Atlanta
  • 1876: First intercollegiate track meet--Princeton wins 
  • 1881: Sitting Bull surrenders
  • 1921: Alice Mary Robertson is first woman to preside over the House
  • 1940: First Billboard singles chart--Tommy Dorsey is #1 with "I'll Never Cry Again"
  • 1944: Hitler survives assassination attempt
  • 1976: Hank Aaron hits #755
  • 1960; 2  dogs return from space alive; first living organisms to return from space
  • 1968: First Special Olympics
  • 1969: In honor of the first anniversary of Jan and Larry Thrailkill's wedding, NASA lands a man on the moon
  • 2012: 12people killed and 59 injured when gunman opens fire in theater in Aurora Colorado
  • 2020: Covid vaccine announced
  • Born: Alexander the Great, George Mendel [laws of heredity], Edmund Hillary, Elliot Richardson, Mike Ilitch [Little Caesars], Cormac McCarthy, Diana Rigg, Natalie Wood, T.G. Sheppard, Carlos Santana,  Sandra Oh, Peter Forsberg, Julianne Hough, 
  • Died: Pancho Villa, Guglielmo Marconi, Bruce Lee, Vince Foster [Clinton White House Counsel], Bill Fleming [Wild World of Sports],  Tammy Faye Bakker, 
Thought:
Today, Jan and I celebrate our 56th anniversary. Well, really I am celebrating, she is considering my request for another 12-month extension. I have been truly blessed. This morning, I am reflecting on verses that describe Jan:
  • Proverbs 18:22--He who finds a good wife finds a good thing and obtains favor from the Lord. I think Solomon got this a little wrong--a man  is favored by the Lord when he finds a good wife. Most of you know the story--Jan and I met in the 8th grade and were classmates through high school. In May of our junior year, we were elected co-presidents of the student body for our senior year. That summer, Miss Eloise Penn, english teacher and sponsor of the newspaper [I was editor], called to tell me that Jan had been hospitalized for surgery to remove a cancer from her neck and it was my duty as co-president to visit her in the hospital [I think there was something said about passing english and getting credit for the newspaper]. I visited. When school started, the first week we had a football game and dance. Miss Penn told me it was my duty to invite Jan as she might be self-conscious about the surgical scar. I did. So paraphrasing the scripture, what cancer brought together, let no man set apart. 
  • Proverbs 19:14: A prudent wife is from the Lord. Jan is a perfect balance and completer for me. I talk a lot and say a little. She talks a little and says a lot. She is the calm place in my life. She is the one who reminds me of who I am and what I am supposed to be about. And she warns me when I get overcommitted.
  • 1 Timothy 3:11--Jan is not a gossip. As a lawyer and someone involved at church and Belmont, I heard and saw a lot of things. She was a confidant. She always thinks the best of someone and never says bad things about anyone. She is temperate [well, except when I agitate her] and faithful in all things. She keeps her promises.
  • Titus 2:4-5--Jan loves her children, she loves them despite their faults. She doesn’t try and accumulate many "friends", but is absolutely devoted to those who are lucky enough to be her friend. 
  • Proverbs 31:10-31. The first time I can recall focusing on this passage was at my grandmother's funeral. My grandfather was the pastor and this is the passage he used to describe his wife and my grandmother. Portions of this passage are part of what makes Jan beautiful--
    • The heart of her husband trusts her [11]. I trust her with everything and in everything. She loves the Lord and she loves me. I never need to worry about her love and faithfulness.
    • She smiles at the future [25]. Her smile still makes my heart skip. She does not worry because she trusts Jesus and she trusts me. 
    • She is wise [25]. She can be profound and direct, but speak it lovingly and kindly. She understands people and knows how to bring wisdom and understanding to the sitution.
    • A woman who fears the Lord shall be praised [30]. 
As I have told you, these thoughts are written for me and are a reflection of what the Lord shows me each day. Hope you don't mind me sharing about the special wife that God favored me with July 20, 1968. 

Blessings
Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024