Thought for July 2, 2024

  •  1776: Continental Congress resolves "these United Colonies are and of right ought to be free and independent States ."
  • 1839: Slaves aboard the Amistad revolt
  • 1843: Alligator falls from the sky during a thunderstorm in Charleston, SC
  • 1863: Battle rages at Little Round Top
  • 1865: William and Catherine Booth found the East London Christian Mission--Salvation Army
  • 1881: Charles Gaiteau shoots President Garfield
  • 1964: LBJ signs Voting Rights Act and Civil Rights Act
  • 1989: Steve Cauthen becomes the first jockey to win the 4 major derbies--Kentucky, Epsom, French and Irish.
  • Born: Thurgood Marshall, Medgar Evers, Imelda Marcos, Larry David, Lindsay Lohan, Margot Robbie, Rene Lacoste, Richard Petty, Jose Canseco, Alex Morgan
  • Died: Ernest Hemingway, Betty Grable, James Stewart, Elie Wiesel
Thought:
I'm not sure I have ever paid close attention to Psalm 145. I know I have read it, but maybe I have not really heard it before today. What a powerful psalm. Look at what David says:
  • What will David do? 
    • Bless the name of the Lord forever [1, 10] and do it every day. [2]Praise the name of the Lord forever [2, 21]. Maybe that should be my starting place every day--bless His name, praise His name. I do start the day with 118:24, but maybe I should spend more time just blessing and praising the name above every name. Jesus started the model prayer that way--maybe I should do the same. 
    • Generations will tell the next generation about the Lord [4, 12]. By praising His mighty works [4], by praising His majesty and glory [5]; by telling of His awesome power [6]; by recalling His goodness and righteousness.[7] Think about that. Do I tell the generations to come about God, His love, grace, mercy, majesty, power, faithfulness, provision? 
  • Why? When I meditate on His wonderful works and His abundant goodness I cannot help but praise and thank and bless His name. Just thinking this morning about His grace and mercy--without His grace and mercy, where would I be, what would be my future? Who could I turn to? When I think about His coming kingdom, a smile comes to my face--a day of pure joy, perfect peace, no tears, no pain, no suffering, no fear, no anxiety. Just thinking about His kingdom makes me smile. Are there some places or people that when you think about them, you smile, your heart rejoices? A walk on the beach, the fresh air of the mountains, the glory of His nature. Or that person, who just brings joy and peace and hope into your life. The very thought of them makes you happy. Now think about Jesus and His kingdom, the place He has prepared especially for you--does your heart rejoice, do you smile at the thought? 
Read verse 18--the Lord is near to all who call on Him in truth. What a blessing! What a hope! Not only is He near, verse 20 tells us that He keeps all who love Him. Our security is in Him. Some of you will recall the old hymn  "Heavenly Sunlight." Reading Psalm 145 makes me sing 
Walking in sunlight all of my journey
Over the mountains, through the deep vale;
Jesus has said, "I'll never forsake thee--“
Promise divine that never can fail

Shadows around me, shadows above me
Never conceal my Savior and Guide
He is the light, in Him is no darkness,
Ever I'm walking close to His side

In the bright sunlight, ever rejoicing
Pressing my way to mansions above;
Singing His praises, gladly I'm walking
Walking in sunlight, sunlight of love.

Heavenly sunlight! Heavenly sunlight!
Flooding my soul with glory divine;
Hallelujah! I am rejoicing
Singing His praises, Jesus is mine!

Blessings
Larry

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024