Thought for July 17, 2024

  •  1717: Handel premiers "Water Music" on the Thames without percussion instruments due to humidity on the river
  • 1853: Frances Havergal is confirmed at Worcester Cathedral
    • At age 17, she sat before the painting by Domenico Feti titled "Ecco Homo"--behold the man. Under the painting of Jesus on the cross was written, "I have done this for you; what have you done for Me?" She wrote "I Gave My Life for Thee" from this experience. 
    • Twenty years later, while staying at a house with 10 others [some saved but not fully committed and some unsaved], praying that she would be used to convert and revive her friends, she wrote "Take My Life and Let It Be"
  • 1861: Congress authorizes paper money
  • 1867: First dental school opens at Harvard
  • 1918: Romanovs killed by Bolsheviks
  • 1959: "North by Northwest" premiers
  • 2014: Malaysia Flight 17 shot down over Ukraine killing 283
  • Born: John Jacob Astor, Erle Stanley Gardner, Camilla Parker Bowles, Angela Merkel, James Cagney, Phyllis Diller, David Hasselhoff, Luke Bryan, 
  • Died: Ty Cobb, Adam Smith, James Whistler, Billie Holiday, John Coltrane, Dizzy Dean, Katherine Graham, Mickey Spillane, Walter Cronkite
Thought:
Have you ever just pictured Mark 1:31? The synagogue in Capernaum was next door to Peter's house. After the teaching and miracle in the synagogue, Jesus and the disciples walk next door and find Peter's mother-in-law sick with a fever. The disciples tell Jesus about the situation. Now look at verse 31:
  • Jesus came to her. I love this part of the story. Makes me think about when others pray for me or I pray for them. Jesus knew she was sick, but the disciples told Him about her need. When we pray for others, we are praying that the Lord will come to them and take their hand in a way that will be so real to them that they know Jesus is right there. Jesus could have spoken--He had the authority, but in His grace and mercy, He comes to us in our problems.
  • Jesus took her by the hand. When I was a child, I had nightmares and would wake up scared in the dark. I would call for my parents next door and they would come and tell me everything was fine and tuck me in. Or when my kids were small, they would be walking in the dark and want to take my hand, assurance that I was right beside them.Think about the times someone took your hand, they didn't have to say a word. 
  • Jesus raised her up. I love this. I can picture Jesus lifting her to a sitting position and then to stand. As I have aged, I sometimes need someone to help be sit up from lying on my back or give me a hand from a chair. But what I really think about this morning is that day when Jesus will take my hand and raise me up to be with Him forever. 
  • She served them. In response to Jesus coming to her, touching her and raising her, she served. Same with us--when we accepted Jesus as Savior and Lord, we were raised from death to life. A life of service to the one who raised us. 
Are you feeling sick today. Body hurting, fighting disease or illness. Are your soul sick this morning? Your heart and mind filled with worry and doubt. Are you just weary this morning, tired, beaten down. Well, the same Jesus who came to Peter's mother-in-law is here. He is ready to take your hand, raise you up, give you strength, renew your hope, calm your fears, remove all doubts. That is good news. Thomas Dorsey wrote, 
Precious Lord, take my hand, Lead me on, Let me stand; I am tired, I am weak, I am worn; Thru the storm, thru the night, Lead me on to the light, Take my hand, precious Lord, lead me home."

I can almost hear Peter's mother-in-law singing that song. 

Blessings

Larry 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024