Thought for July 1, 2024

  • 1858: Darwin presents his paper on how natural selection accounts for the evolution of species to the Linnaean Society in London 
  •  1863: Battle of Gettysburg begins
  • 1898: Charge up San Juan Hill
  • 1903: Geronimo baptized in a Methodist Church in Oklahoma
  • 1908: SOS becomes worldwide call for help
  • 1941: Bulova pays $9 for the first network television commercial
  • 1963: Zip code introduced
  • 1997: Hong Kong returned to China
  • Born: Rochambeau, Estee Lauder, Diana Spencer, Charles Laughton, Olivia de Havilland, Dan Aykroyd, Liv Tyler, Carl Lewis
  • Died: Harriet Beecher Stowe, Juan Peron, Michael Landon, Marlon Brando
Thought:
Reading Psalm 144:1-2 this morning. Thinking about whether I approach every day as a day of battle. Certainly Paul's letter to the Ephesians reminds us that we are in a battle, that we need to put on our armor, pick up our sword and then stand fast and steadfast against the enemy. David had fought many battles---some as a boy against animals that attacked his flock---some as a boy against giants that defied God---some as a man against enemies foreign and domestic, even his own son. Reading these two verses, what does the Lord want me to know and use today?
  • There is a battle to be fought: Every day there is a battle to be fought. Sometimes for me the battle is internal--who is on the throne of my life? Or what is my attitude as I face today? Who will I listen to today and who will I trust? Sometimes the battle is external---how do I respond to those around me. People are difficult, situations are challenging, problems seem unanswerable. I think Paul understood that every day was a battle so he tells us repeatedly to be alert, be sober, pay attention, be ready. Satan wants me to think that everything is fine, just get along, keep quiet, don't rock the boat, conform. The Lord wants me fully armed, fully prepared and ready for the battle.
  • The enemy is not flesh and blood but the forces of evil. So I need spiritual armor and spiritual weapons. Psalm 144 says that the Lord trains my hands and fingers for battle. Perhaps David was remembering those physical confrontations. But these verses remind me that I should not go into the battle with my plan and my strength--I should pay attention to how the Lord trains me for battle. His training is different and His armor is different. Look at the words David chooses:
    • The Lord is my rock in the battle. He is the immovable One, the unchanging One. He is the foundation on which I stand for the battle. He is the cornerstone and the capstone. I must align myself with Him to win the battle. 
    • He is my fortress. A few days ago I wrote about if God is on my side, who do I fear? The Lord is my protector in battle. He builds the hedge around me and protects me. Even if my body falls in the battle, He is the anchor of my soul and the eternal security.
    • He is my deliverer. David knew what is was like to be surrounded. He trusted God for deliverance. Always makes me think of the three Jewish boys and Nebuchadnezzar--our God is able to deliver us from the fire, but if not, He will walk with me in the fire. 
    • He is my shield--Paul speaks of the shield of faith that extinguishes all the fiery darts of the devil. This is hard for me to remember when the battle rages--He is my shield.
    • But there is another word that David uses here--the Lord is my lovingkindness [144:2]. I need this reminder when going into battle--the Lord wages war differently--He fight against the forces of evil, but He loves those people that might hate Him. He says to turn the other cheek, walk the extra mile, bless those who curse Him, pray for those that do Him wrong. What a strange battle plan! 
Lord, today, remind me that there is a battle; help me recall that You are already victorious; help me put on all of my armor and pick up that shield of faith in You; teach me to battle as a faithful soldier in Your army, armed with the sword of the word. And make me an instrument of Your lovingkindness, even in battle. 
Blessings
Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024