Thought for June 22, 2024

  •  1611: Henry Hudson set adrift by mutineers
  • 1633: Galileo forced to recant heliocentric theory by the Catholic Church [Vatican admits it was wrong in 1992]
  • 1675: Greenwich Observatory established
  • 1874: Lawn tennis game introduced
  • 1932: National League approves players wearing numbers
  • 1940: First Dairy Queen
  • 1944: GI Bill signed
  • 1955" "Lady and the Tramp" released
  • 1990: Florida Law prohibits thong bathing suits
  • Born: Carl Hubbell [baseball HOF], John Dillinger, Bill Blass, Diane Feinstein, Ed Bradley [journalist], Pete Maravich, Meryl Streep, Elizabeth Warren, Cyndi Lauper, Erin Brockovich, Clyde Drexler, Dan Brown ["Da Vinci Code"], Kurt Warner, Dustin Johnson
  • Died: Matthew Henry [commentary], David Selznick ["Gone with the Wind"], Judy Garland, Fred Astaire, Pat Nixon, George Carlin
Thought:
Reading Psalm 124 today. Really stuck on the very first verse. "Had it not been that the Lord who was on our side." Just think about that this morning. What would happen if the Lord was not on my side? People and the evil one rise up against us. Our enemies seek to swallow us--They eat and gnaw at our faith, they challenge our beliefs, they use every worldly scheme to entangle, distract and distort. What would happen if we were in this battle alone? 

What would happen to us when the storms of life rise, the wind blows, the water seeks to overcome us? How would we deal with all the traps and snares of Satan? How would we escape? How would we prosper? What would happen to our courage and hope? How would life be?

As I think about this verse, it comes to my mind that the real question is whose side am I on? Am I on God's side or am I part of the enemy? The Bible presents the war between God and the rebels who want to be God. Satan seeks to have me join his rebellion. In fact, scripture says that without Jesus, I am 
  • Alienated and hostile toward God [Colossians 1:21]
  • Serving the creature and not the creator [Romans 1:25]
  • Separated from God, excluded from His family, a stranger to God's covenant, without hope and without God. [Ephesians 2:12]
  • Dead in my sins and walking according to the prince of the power of the air [Ephesians 2:2]
Paul describes the battle as against the world forces of darkness and spiritual forces of wickedness [Ephesians 6:12], so we must put on the armor of God and be ready for battle. Jesus won the victory on the cross and in the resurrection, but the battle wages on  until He returns. So the question I get from Psalm 124 is whose side am I on? Whose uniform do I wear? Whose armor protects me? I can pray for God to be on my side, but victory results when I am on His side. 

Lord, help me to wear Your uniform, your armor, carry my cross in Your army. Victory is Yours!

Blessings
Larry



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024