Thought for June 2, 2024

A special edition for today!
  • 1862: Robert E Lee takes command of the Army of Northern Virginia
  • 1896: Marconi applies for a patent for a system of wireless telegraphy in the UK
  • 1935: Babe Ruth announces his retirement
  • 1953: Queen Elizabeth coronated in Westminster Abbey
  • 1962: Ray Charles hits #1 with "I Can't Stop Loving You."
  • 1989: "Dead Poets Society" premiers
  • 2004: Ken Jennings begins his 74 game winning streak on 'Jeopardy"
  • Born: Marquis de Sade, Edward Elgar, Johnny Weissmuller, Abby Wambach
  • Died: Lou Gehrig, Rex Harrison, Bo Diddley
Thought:
Back in 2000, I wrote about "Dead Poets Society" because of its local connection. Robin Williams starred as professor Keating at an exclusive boys' school in Vermont. The film is based on a book by Thomas Schulman of Nashville. Schulman based the character Keating on a professor he had while attending MBA, Sam Pickering. We probably recall from the movie the boys saying "carpe diem". The Roman poet, Horace, used this phrase and said, "carpe diem quam minimum credula postero." This means "pluck the day, trusting as little as possible in the next." Four years ago, I thought about five scriptures that share this thought.
  • Philippians 4:6-7. Seizing today means do not be anxious. This passage tells us that rather than being anxious, pray. In prayer we find that peace of God that passes all understanding. I don't know exactly why I am calm and not anxious--yes I do, I have read and believe all the promises of God are true and fulfilled in Jesus. In Christ I have peace with God and the peace of God.
  • Philippians 3:13-14. Seizing the day means forgetting the past and pressing on. What part of the past am I to forget--anything that would distract you from today. The Holy Spirit helps us recall everything that Jesus said and all He has done--those things we remember. We forget those things that hinder my progress as I press on toward the goal of my calling in Christ. Satan uses the past to distract, defeat, discourage us--in Christ we have victory, forgiveness, and strength to press on. 
  • Ephesians 5:15-17. Seizing the day means making the most of my time today. Today consists of 24 hours, 1440 minutes, 86,400 seconds. Horace said to pluck the day like you pluck a chicken, removing every feather. Today, use every moment for Him.
  • Ecclesiastes 9:10. Seizing the day means using whatever God has given you. "Whatever your hands find to do, do it with all your might." Do your best. Give 100%. Don't be like the church in Laodicea--lukewarm. Be all in. 
  • Colossians 3:17. Seizing the day means do everything in the name of Jesus. When you lay down tonight, will you be able to say, everything I did and said today I did and said in the name of Jesus. My attitude carried the name of Jesus. My tongue was controlled by the name of Jesus. 
Lord, help us seize today for You!
Blessings
Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024