Thought for June 19, 2024

  •  1865: Juneteenth--Slaves are freed in Texas
  • 1910: First Father's Day--Spokane
  • 1912: Tennessee State University opens
  • 1926: DeFord Bailey is first African American to perform at the Grand Ole Opry
  • 1952: "I've Got a Secret" premiers
  • 1961: Supreme Court strikes down provision in Maryland Constitution that required office holders to believe in God
  • 1970: Jim Bouton publishes "Ball Four"
  • 1978: Garfield first appears
  • 1987: Supreme Court rules schools teaching evolution do not have to teach creationism
  • 2018: GE is dropped from the Dow Jones Index--last of the original stocks in the index
  • Born: Blaise Pascal, Charles H. Spurgeon, Wallis Simpson, Moe Howard, Guy Lombardo, Lou Gehrig, Shirley Muldowney [drag racer], Salman Rushdie, Phylicia Rashad, Tasmanian Devil [1st appearance 1954], Paula Abdul, Zoe Saldana, 
  • Died: Ethel and Julius Rosenberg, William Golding ["Lord of the Flies"], James Gandolfini
Thought:
This week I have been reading Psalm 119 again. Monday I looked at the attributes of God's word as described in this chapter. Yesterday, I considered what I should ask of God in view of the word. Today, I am pondering what I should promise and do in response to God's commandments and word.

Because God's word is eternal and provides wisdom and understanding, I will 
  • Long for the word [40, 131]; Seek His word [10,45, 58, 94].; Not neglect His word [16]. Reminds me of the passage in Isaiah 40--as the deer pants for water, so shall I seek God and His word. I will seek for its truth and regularly read and recite His word. 
  • Consider His word and meditate upon it [15, 15, 23, 27, 48, 78, 97, 99, 148]. I will not make a decision without consulting His word. And I will not just read the word as an exercise of duty, but I will take time to allow Him to speak to me through His word. I will feast on His word and savor every morsel of truth. 
  • I will choose His word [173], follow His word [106] and practice His word [56]. I will choose His word and His truth above the worlds so-called truths. I will choose daily to accept His word even when it conflicts with my feelings. I will follow His word-it will be the guide of my life, my operating system, my maker's instructions. I used to tell the teenagers I taught that sex is like a washing machine--both work perfectly when operated according to the manufacturer's suggested operating instructions. I spent years practicing law, hoping one day to get it right. I will approach His word the same way recognizing that I need to practice what I say, act like I believe, and practice until He comes to make all things perfect. 
  • I will obey His word [88, 100,129, 145, 167, 168]. I will do my best to hit the target He has established, operate within the bounds He has set up, and obey without delay or hesitation.
  • I will rejoice in His word [14, 162] and get comfort from His word [50,52]. His word will be a source of joy in my life as I celebrate His victory and participate in His victory march. I will be comforted by His promises when the world hurts me. 
  • I will love His word knowing that it is intended for my eternal good and His glory. [47, 97, 113, 119, 140, 159, 163, 167] Even when I don't understand His word, His timing or His plan, I love His word because I love Him.
  • I will be consumed by His word and hold fast to it. Think about the burning bush, aflame, giving light and heat, but not consumed. I want my life to be like that comsumed by the fire and giving light to those around me. Consumed but not destroyed. 
  • I will be faithful to His word to the end. [33, 44, 55, 146] We sing that hymn--" I love to tell the story, will be my theme in glory, to tell the old, old story of Jesus and His love." 
My favorite sermon in entitled "God's Love Story." It was written and delivered by Bill Wilson at Brentwood Baptist several times. It is entirely from God's word. Bill simply put the scriptures together to tell the story of God's great love for us. That's why I love Psalm 119--God's word is His love story to us. 

Blessings
Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024