Thought for June 18, 2024

  •  1682: William Penn founds Philadelphia
  • 1781: 18 people, including 3 African Americans, form the first Baptist church in Kentucky at Elizabethtown
  • 1873: Susan B Anthony fined $100 for voting in presidential election
  • 1928: Amelia Earhart is first woman to fly across the Atlantic
  • 1940: Churchill gives speech, "This was their finest hour"
  • 1960: Arnold Palmer overcomes a 7 stroke deficit in the final round to win the US Open
  • 1968: Supreme Court bans discrimination in housing
  • 1983: Sally Ride is the first woman in space
  • Born: EG Marshall, Red Adair, Richard Boone, George Mikan, Lou Brock, Paul McCartney, Roger Ebert, Blake Shelton, Richard Madden [Game of Thrones]
  • Died: Jeanne Mance [founded first hospital in North America], Roald Amundsen, Jack Buck
Thought:
Yesterday I was contemplating the attributes of God's word as revealed in Psalm 119, today I am thinking about what those attributes compel me to do in response. God has revealed His word in scripture and in the person of Jesus. What does that prompt me to do?

I will ask God to 
  • Teach me [12,26,33, 64, 66, 68, 108, 124, 135]. God's word is insight and wisdom that is eternally true. So my desire is to have God teach me all about His word as presented in scripture and in Jesus. The Holy Spirit reminds me of all Jesus did and said. The Holy Spirit comes to guide and direct me, correct and admonish me. So I ask God to use His word to teach me His ways.
  • Open my eyes [17]. Help me read Your word through the lens of Your holiness and love. Let me see in Your word the truth You have for me.
  • Strengthen me. [28]. Allow me to gain strength to live victoriously through Your word.
  • Keep me from sin [[29, 133]. Lord, help me use the lamp and light of Your word to stay on Your path.
  • Turn my eyes and my heart to Jesus [[36, 37]. Lord, use Your word to keep me focused on Jesus with my eyes and with all my heart.
  • Comfort me [76]. When I am hurting, afraid, depressed, Lord direct me to Your word for comfort and assurance.
  • Sustain, preserve and uphold me [116, 25, 37, 40, 88, 107, 149, 156]. Not only preserve my life, but preserve my purity, holiness, commitment, devotion. Sustain me in times of spiritual challenge, uphold me and hold me when life batters and the sea seems angry and the wind is hollowing.
  • Deliver and defend me [153, 170, 154]. May I go to Your word when troubled, doubting, afraid. Deliver me from the evil one and from all fleshly desires. Give me the words to defend the gospel with love. Be my shield and defender in the wars of life.
  • Be gracious and set me free [29, 58, 32]. As I cling to Your word, be gracious to me and free me from every worldly thing that would distract, deter, or defeat my walk with You. Help me to set aside and throw off all those fleshly things that rebel against You. 
Again, there are more in this chapter. His word gives us confidence to ask Him to use His word to conform us to the image of His Son. Lord, do that today.
Blessings
Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024