Thought for June 11, 2024

  •  1770: Captain Cook discovers the Great Barrier Reef
  • 1935: First public demonstration of FM radio
  • 1936: Presbyterian Church of North America founded by people who thought United Presbyterian Church too liberal
  • 1939: King and Queen of England taste their first hot dogs at party hosted by FDR
  • 1950: Ben Hogan wins Miracle at Merion 18 months after severe injuries in a car wreck
  • 1977: First Main Street Electrical Parade at Disney World
  • 1982: "ET" released
  • 2002: American Idol premiers
  • 2009: Swine flu declared a pandemic
  • Born: Richard Strauss, Jeanette Rankin, Jacques Cousteau, Vince Lombardi, Brother Dave Gardner, Gene Wilder, Joe Montana, Hugh Laurie
  • Died: John Wayne, DeForest Kelley [Bones McCoy], Timothy McVeigh, David Brinkley, Ruby Dee, Jim Ed Brown
Thought:
Pondering Psalm 116:12 this morning. "What shall I render to the Lord for all His benefits toward me." Yesterday we were asking what we would say if someone asked what is God like? How did you answer that question:
  • He is powerful---He created everything.
  • He is gracious--He humbled Himself and dwelt among His creation.
  • He is love--He loves us with an everlasting love and demonstrated the depth of the love when He died for us.
  • He is kind, providing hope, joy and peace.
  • He is Savior, rescuing us from darkness and death.
  • He is Redeemer--paying the price for our freedom from sin and death.
  • He is Friend--a friend who knows everything about me, every thought, every action, and yet loves me and willingly died for me.
  • He is my hope--without Him I am hopeless. With Him I have an anchor for my soul in heaven. 
  • He is my Comfort and my Comforter.
I know you have many more things to tell what God is like. Psalm 116 asks, what shall I render or how can I repay Him? Look at what the psalm says:
  • I will call upon Him. I will keep the lines of communication open. I shall pray--hallowed, blessed, be Thy name. [116:13]
  • I will keep my vows to the Lord. [116:14, 18]. Ever think about your vows to the Lord. I accept Your gift of salvation and make You Lord of my life. As Lord of my life, I will obey You, follow You, tell others about You, present my body a living sacrifice to You. I wonder how Jesus thinks I am doing in keeping my vows.
  • I will serve You, Lord. [116:16] I am Your servant. My purpose in life is to serve You and make You known. So I get up every morning like a soldier in battle asking, what are the orders for today.
  • I will bring an offering, a sacrifice of thanksgiving. [116:17] I will constantly recognize that all I have is from Your hand. You have provided life. Charles Wesley on the anniversary of his salvation wrote, "O for a thousand tongues to sing my Great Redeemers praise." Lord, may my life be a hymn of thanksgiving to You.
Blessings
Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024