Thought for May 13, 2024

  •  1607: Jamestown colonist attend first prayer service in Virginia
  • 1767: Mozart's first opera premiers in Salzburg--written at age 11
  • 1828: Evangelist David Marks asks the audience what he should preach on. Someone shouts "nothing." He preaches on the fact that without Jesus we are nothing and have nothing.
  • 1865: Last battle of War Between the States
  • 1913: First 4-engine plane built and flown
  • 1916: Lafayette Escadrille sees 1st combat at Verdun
  • 1940: Churchill's first speech as Prime Minister--"I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat." Made me think of Jesus' first appearance in the synagogue--"The Spirit of the Lord is upon Me, because He appointed Me to preach the gospel to the poor. He has sent Me to proclaim release to the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to set free those who are downtrodden, to proclaim the favorable year of the Lord." Jesus makes all the difference. 
  • 1958: "Velcro" trademark registered
  • 1973: Bobby Riggs beats Margaret Court on Mother's Day
  • 1981: Pope John Paul II shot and critically wounded
  • 2004: Final episode of "Frazier”
  • 2020: Every African country has Covid cases
  • Born: Arthur Sullivan [Gilbert & Sullivan], Daphne du Maurier, Joe Louis, Bea Arthur, Jim Jones, Richie Valens, Mary Wells, Stevie Wonder, Stephen Colbert, Robert Pattinson
  • Died: Cyrus McCormick, Gary Cooper, Dan Blocker, Gene Sarazen, Doris Day
Thought:
Reading Psalm 18 this morning. As I read, I am reminded that songs we sing in church come from this psalm. I am focused on verses 1-3. 

What if the psalm said nothing more than the first five words--I love Thee, O Lord. What if that was my confession and the touchstone for all that I say and do? Reminds me of John 3:16--for God so loved the world. Or maybe I think about Sonnet 43 from Elizabeth Barrett Browning--"How do I love Thee? Let me count the ways." Have you ever just started thinking of all the ways you love the Lord. I love Him:
  • For His creation.His love is expressed in its beauty, its order, its complexity, its plan. 
  • For His creation of my life--He breathes life into the lifeless and gives us our existence.
    "For from whom, and through Him and to Him are all things.”
  • For His plan of redemption.
  • For His salvation.
  • For His grace and mercy.
  • For His comfort and help.
  • For His joy and peace.
Now look at the psalmist's list. I love the Lord because He and He alone is my
  • Strength--I am weak, but He is strong. When my strength fails, His strength endures. When I fall, He lifts me up.
  • Rock--He is that solid ground that does not move during the winds and floods of life. 
  • Fortress--He holds me in His hand and there I am safe. He builds the holy hedge around my life. 
  • Deliverer--He delivers me from the penalty of sin and transfers me to the kingdom of light
  • Refuge--When all about me is giving way, He is my refuge. I can always run to Him for safety, assurance, protection.
  • Shield--He holds His shield over me and gives me the sheild of faith with which to repel all the fiery darts of the evil one.
  • Salvation--He saves me and has prepared a place for me for eternity. 
  • Stronghold--I like this picture. When attacked, people retreat into their stronghold, a place from which to defend themselves. He is that place of defense and He is the Great Defender.
  • Savior--While I was still a sinner and lost, He came to save me. 
And for all that He is worthy of all praise. 

Blessings
Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024