Thought for April 3, 2024

  •  1860: Pony Express begins between St. Joseph MO and Sacramento CA
  • 1882: Jesse James killed by Robert Ford
  • 1933: First airplane flight over Mt. Everest
  • 1953: First issue of TV Guide
  • 1960: Elvis records "It's Now or Never", "Fever", and "Are You Lonesome Tonight" at RCA Nashville
  • 1973: First mobile telephone call
  • 1974: Super tornado outbreak kills 315 and injures 5,500. One hit a house on Tyne Blvd. where I was staying.
  • 2007: Lady Vols wins 7th national title
  • 2020: Captain Brett Crozier cheered after his firing for writing a letter demanding more help for sailors infected with Covid
  • Born: Washington Irving, Boss Tweed, Leslie Howard, Henry Luce [publisher of Time, Life and Fortune], Sally Rand, Iron Eyes Cody, Doris Day, Marlon Brando, Virgil Grissom, Jane Goodall, Wayne Newton, Tony Orlando, Alec Baldwin, Eddie Murphy, 
  • Died: Johannes Brahms, Reginald Heber, Warren Oats, Sarah Vaughan, Pinky Lee, Eddie Robinson, Tom Dempsey, 
Reginald Heber wrote many hymns including "Holy, Holy, Holy" based on Revelation 4:8-11. The hymn was found with 56 others in the trunk of his car after his death.

Thought:
A week has passed since the resurrection. The followers and disciples are again gathered. This time, Thomas is present. Read John 20:26-31 with me. Thomas is an important name to me. Both grandfathers were named Thomas. My middle name is Thomas. My grandson's name is Thomas. What do  I see in this encounter with Jesus.
  • Jesus sees and hears everything that I say, do and think. In 20:24-25, John records the conversation from 8 days ago and Luke 24 gives us details of that conversation. The disciples have seen Jesus. They have seen His hands, feet and side. They have seen flesh and bone, not a spirit. [Luke 24:39] They have seen Jesus eat [Luke 24:41-43] But Thomas will not believe until he touches with his own hands. Jesus knows my doubts. Jesus knows my struggles with faith. Jesus hears me when I make myself the center of the situation and demand proof. Lord, if You love me, if You care about me, then You will do what I ask. I try and make Jesus my servant. Thomas wanted special attention. Jesus knows what Thomas said and thought.
  • Jesus meets me at my weakest point. Thomas, I came here tonight so that you might believe. I offer proof--try Me, test Me. Jesus invites me to trust Him--come close, prove me. This draws me to Malachi 3. God tells the people to bring the whole tithe into His house and TEST Me now to open the windows of heaven. Jesus invites Thomas to test by touching and move from disbelief to belief.  Jesus invites me to trust Him and then never fails.
  • Today, Jesus is asking me what have you seen and heard, Larry. How have you tested Me in the past? Have I ever failed? Have My promises ever been untrue? Faith is the substance of things unseen. Jesus tells Thomas that he is blessed because seeing he believed, but blessed are those that believe without seeing. But Jesus also reminds me that I have seen--I have seen transformed lives. I have seen miracles of healing. I have seen Him move in ways that cannot be explained.
Today, think about how Jesus has shown Himself to you. How He has met your needs, calmed your fears, answered your prayers [often in ways you did not expect]. The disciples prayed, "help our unbelief." I pray increase my faith. And as usual, I am reminded of a hymn--"Jesus, Jesus, how I trust Him, how I've proved Him o'er and o'er. Jesus, Jesus, precious Jesus, or for grace to trust Him more." 

Blessings
Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024