Thought for April 2, 2024

  •  1513: Ponce de Leon claims Florida for Spain
  • 1792: Coinage Act--$10 Eagle, $5 half-Eagle, $2.50 quarter-Eagle [all gold coins], silver dollar, half dollar, quarter, dime and half-dime
  • 1877: First Easter Egg Roll on the White House lawn
  • 1917: Jeanette Rankin begins first term in the House 
  • 1931: Jackie Mitchell [17 year-old girl] strikes out Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig in exhibition baseball game in Chattanooga
  • 1954: Plans announced to build Disneyland
  • 1978: Velcro put on the market
  • 1986: NCAA adopts the 3-point shot
  • 2006: 29 people killed by tornadoes in Tennessee
  • 2020: Covid cases exceeds 1 million
  • Born: Charlemagne, Casanova, Hans Christian Andersen, Emile Zola, Walter Chrysler, Buddy Ebsen, Alec Guiness, Jack Webb, Whirlaway, Marvin Gaye, Don Sutton, Emmylou Harris, Rodney King, 
  • Died: Samuel Morse, William Longstaff ["Take Time to Be Holy"], Buddy Rich, Harvey Penick, Winnie Mandela
Thought:
Jesus appeared to His disciples and followers on Sunday night, but He had appeared to two men on the Emmaus Road that afternoon. Luke records their conversation in 24:13-32. I have always wondered who these men were. We know one was named Cleopas, the other is unnamed. They have been in Jerusalem and now they are 7 miles from town. They are discussing the events that they have seen and heard about. They were sad [24:17]. We saw Him delivered and crucified, BUT some women say He is alive. But We haven't seen Him. 

Now here is the class I want to be part of--Jesus begins with Moses and the prophets and explains how all scripture refers to Him. Here is the real Master Class. The Master explaining the plan,  how all prophesy is fulfilled in Jesus. Did they write that down? I would love to read the transcript--Jesus explaining the prophets that point to the Messiah. WOW! These men don't recognize the teacher at first. Who has the wisdom and authority to explain these things? Then He breaks the bread--and perhaps they recall--as often as you do this, do it in remembrance of Me. 

Now look at 20:32. "Were not our hearts burning?" These words convict me--when I read the Word, when I hear from the Living Word, when the Bread of Life is present, does my heart burn? Gene Bartlett wrote a song for mission week one year--"Set my soul afire Lord, set my soul afire. Make my life a witness of Thy saving power. Millions grope in darkness waiting for Thy word. Set my soul afire, Lord, set my soul afire." Do I respond to the presence and word of the Lord with a heart on fire. Watching the basketball in March I see fans and teams all fired up. Do I get fired up for the Lord? Easter might be a good time to flame the fire. 
Blessings
Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024