Thought for April 17, 2024

  •  1387: Characters in the "Canterbury Tales" begin their journey
  • 1725: John Rudge leaves twenty shillings a year from his estate to hire a poor man to keep people awake during sermons and keep dogs out of the church
  • 1905: Supreme Court holds laws unconstitutional that set maximum work day--abridge the right to contract
  • 1961: 1400 Cuban exiles land at the Bay of Pigs
  • 1964: Ford Mustang formally introduced
  • 1970: Apollo 13 lands safely
  • 1993: Riots after 2 policemen found not guilty in Rodney King trial
  • Born: Alexander Cartwright [invented modern baseball], JP Morgan, Thornton Wilder, William Holden, Harry Reasoner, Daffy Duck [first appearance], Sean Bean, Boomer Esiason, Jennifer Garner, Victoria Beckham
  • Died: Ben Franklin, Ralph David Abernathy, Linda McCartney, Barbara Bush
Thought:
Reading Jonah 2:9 this morning. As chapter 2 begins, Jonah has been in the belly of the great fish for three days and three nights. He describes being thrown into the sea. Notice, it was the sailors who threw him into the sea physically, but Jonah recognizes that it was the hand of God at work [2:3]. Here I learn a valuable truth, God uses people and circumstances to get my attention, correct and admonish me. I might get upset or angry with those people or mad about the circumstances, but I need to see God at work using those methods for my good and His glory.

This makes me think about perspective--trying to see and understand things from God's perspective. What do you think Jonah thought about the great fish? Never having spent time in the belly of a great fish and then being vomited up, I don't understand Jonah's experience--but I don't think it was pleasant. When Jonah finally climbed up on the beach did he look back and curse the fish, complain about the vomit, tell God there was surely a better way for God to get his attention. That's what I do. God has used "bad" situations to draw me close---I'm happy to be back in a right relationship, but maybe I am not so happy about the methods God used. Lord, help me understand that being close to You makes any events or circumstances worth it. As James say, "I consider it all joy when I encounter various trials."

This morning I am focused on 2:9, "I will sacrifice to Thee with the voice of thanksgiving. That which I have vowed, I will pay." These words immediately precede the fish depositing Jonah on the shore. Brings to mind that great old hymn, "Trust and Obey, for there's no other way, to be happy in Jesus, but to trust and obey." Jonah thanks the Lord for His grace, patience, goodness, plan, power. The praises of God' people rise up like the smell of a beautiful sacrifice. Then Jonah commits to keep his vow. What had he vowed? The same thing I have--He is Lord, Master, Savior, King. I have vowed my life, my hope, my obedience, my worship, my service to Him. Jonah has a moment of recommitment. Now as we will see, Jonah was not full hearted about this, but he will do as commanded--arise, go and cry out against Nineveh. [1:1] 

This morning, I am saying to the Lord, Lord with Your help I will do my best to keep my vows to You. Love God with all my heart, soul, mind and strength, and my neighbor as myself. Go and make disciples. Maybe if I do those things, everything else will be good for me and glory for You.

Blessings
Larry


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024