Thought for April 12, 2024

  •  1557: Protestant converts are burned for their faith--Thomas Loseby, Henry Ramsey, Thomas Thirtel, Margaret Hyde, and Agnes Stanley
  • 1858: First US billiards championships
  • 1861: Fort Sumter attacked
  • 1862: James Andrews steals the General at Kennesaw GA and begins the great locomotive chase
  • 1877: Catcher's mask first used in baseball
  • 1938: First law requiring medical tests for marriage--NY
  • 1945: FDR dies at Warm Springs GA
  • 1953: Ben Hogan wins his second Green Jacket
  • 1961: Yuri Gagarin is first to orbit earth
  • 1964: Arnold Palmer wins his 4th Green Jacket
  • 1966: First B-52 bombing in Viet Nam
  • 1987: Larry Mize chips in from 140 feet on the 2nd playoff hole to win the Masters
  • 1987: Texaco files for bankruptcy
  • 1992: Fred Couples has the miracle on 12 and wins the Masters
  • 2020: 40 tornadoes kill 32 from Texas to SC
  • Born: Henry Clay, Peter Safar [pioneered CPR], Tiny Tim [Tiptoe through the Tulips], John Hagee, David Letterman, Tom clancy, Vince Gill, Claire Danes
  • Died: Adoniram Judson [missionary to Burma], Boss Tweed, Clara Barton, Joe Louis, Abbie Hoffman, Sugar Ray Robinson, Boxcar Willie, Danny Davis [Nashville Brass], Stirling Moss, Doug Sanders
Thought:
Continuing in Jonah chapter 1 this morning. Yesterday the word of the Lord came to Jonah. A simple word--arise, go, proclaim. But verse 3 begins with that word, "but." Have you thought about what would have happened if Jonah had said "yes, Lord." No storm, no thrown in the sea, no whale's belly, no whale's vomit. I think I learned this from my parents and coaches--it is generally easier to obey than to disobey. I avoid the consequences of disobedience and my parent, coach, Savior are pleased. 

Why do you think Jonah decided to run rather than obey? He hated the Assyrians too much to obey the Lord? He thought he could get away from the presence of the Lord? He thought he could escape the judgment of the Lord? Recall that the Lord was sending Jonah to Nineveh because Nineveh had been disobedient and wicked. So Jonah decides to be disobedient and wicked. And if God was going to deal with the disobedience and wickedness of Nineveh, what do you think God would do with the disobedience and wickedness of Jonah? Maybe Jonah has not read Psalm 139:7-12--"Where can I go from Thy Spirit? Or where can I flee from Thy presence?" 

This morning, this verse is reminding me that I cannot run from God. I cannot hide myself or my sin from Him. As a child, I thought I could do things and my parents would never know--sneaky, sly. But I learned two things--they have eyes in the back of their heads and even if they don't see, someone will. I think we all have our secret sins--those things we don't want anyone to know about. Maybe they are past sins or maybe they are today's struggles. But as long as nobody knows, its OK. Jonah could not run from the presence of the lord and neither can I. My secret sins, my unclean thoughts--He knows them all. 

Lord, I pray with David, create in me a clean heart, renew my spirit, restore my joy--blot out my transgressions, wash away my iniquity, cleanse me from my sin--and with David I promise, my mouth will declare Thy praise. 

Blessings
Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024